Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Ball "Sunburst" Demaskeening, before or After?? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 274
Life Member 27
Picture of Jack Goldstein
posted
I am sitting here with 2 18S Ball 999's. Both in "Ball Model"cases. While looking at the serial#'s and dates, I am for the moment confused? The first one is a 21J Sunburst style movement, it's serial # is 586187. The second is the circular demaskeening,19J's, and it's serial# is 535004, the earlier of the two. I was under the impression that the circular demaskeening came after the earlier Sunburst style. I never really learned this or read it anywhere, I just always thought that this is the way it was. Both are dated 1905-1910.
Just when did the "Sunburst" style stop, and the "circular" start?

Jack Goldstein

Posts: 465 | Location: Tontitown, Arkansas USA | Registered: July 25, 2003
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Jack,

It is my impression the "Wavy Sunburst Damaskeening" is a feature of Ball's highest RR grade watch movements. The earliest watch I have it on is on number 307473 a Ball-Howard B of LE produced May 1, 1894 according to Harold Visser. I understand you were not asking about those, but I mention it as they may have started a trend.

From this point on I will limit my remarks to certain of the Grade "999" 18-size Ball-Hamiltons I have in my collection and list them by serial number. Frankly, I believe you'll find the wavy sunburst on all the Ball-Hamilton 18-size 21-Jewel movements. The lowest number I have it on is 170704 from 1899 a 21-Jewel Official RR Standard.

Each of the 21-Jewel Brotherhoods in my collection have the wavy sunburst. The lowest I have is 533069 a 21-Jewel B of RT from 1906 and the highest is 644083 an ORC which was built in 1910 according to Hamilton. Ironically, the Hamilton records indicate my 21-Jewel B of LE 644007 was finished in 1910 but not shipped to Ball until 1914 which tells me they were a difficult watch to sell in those times.

Perhaps we should also mention the Brake-Wheel Damaskeening which is an interesting variation. A 17-Jewel B of LF Standard I have from 1895 has a further variation on that design. That particular one consists of the wavy sunburst in the center surrounded by the outer circular work. All my other 17 and 19-Jewel examples, both ORRS and various Brotherhoods all have the circular damaskeening.

Another one of interest is number 170249 an ORRS 17-Jewel marked "Adjusted, Single-Roller" with "Ball & Co. Cleveland" beneath. This one, which was Ball's "loss-leader" 18-size has circular damaskeening and an unusual Double-Sunk Ball ORRS Trade-Mark Dial.

From the examples outlined above it would appear that 18-size Ball-Hamilton "999" graded 21-Jewel movements had the "wavy sunburst" design. The lesser varieties of grade "999", be they 17 or 19-Jewel had either circular, the "Brake-Wheel" or a related variation. Since I do not have a Ball-Hamilton 23-Jewel "999" to share information about at this time I'll let someone else tell us about those.

Hope at least some of this information is of help!

Lindell

Wink

Below 533069 a Ball-Hamilton 21-Jewel B of RT "wavy sunburst"...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002