• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

help with Hamilton dials "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Can I please get some advise as to what movements and cases go with these dials First image is a 974 movement, s/n 1189405, 16s 17j. The second image has a 992B movement, s/n C40114--I am currently looking for a dial for it: and I have this Model 2 Wadsworth Quality 10 Karat case, s/n 0440079, PAT 5-22-26. Is this a good case for the 992B movement? Thanks, Mike

Mike

Block letters

Posts: 56 | Location: San Antonio, Texas in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2013
posted
another dial-script lettering, what would be an appropriate movement for this dial? Would this be an OK dial on the 974?

Mike

script dial

Posts: 56 | Location: San Antonio, Texas in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2013
posted
This is the two tone case I plan on putting the 974 movement in--OK?

Mike

posted
Back of two tone Philadelphia 25 year case

Mike

back

IHC Life Member
Picture of Larry Lamphier
posted
Hi Mike,

This might help you a little.

Case and Dial info

Let me add that the Script dial in the Wadsworth case is to early for that case. I can't tell the year without looking at the serial number of the case, but if you study that link, you will see where Richard has explained that same thing to someone else on the script dial. That is VERY helpful information there.

Regards,
Larry

Posts: 2733 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: February 28, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
Those dials are VERY hard to come by Mike. I am looking though!

Regards,
Larry

Posts: 2733 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: February 28, 2010
posted
Thanks Larry, I love the 950B I got from you. It has a Melamine dial--and due to its manufacturing date, should I not consider putting a porcelain dial on it??

Mike

IHC Life Member
posted
What is the Serial number of the 950B Mike?

I don't think I would leave a melamine dial on a 950B if it wasn't the correct dial for it.

Regards,
Larry

posted
Larry-s/n of 950B is S9825

Mike

posted
Is it OK to put a 1942 992B in a 1928 Wadsworth model 2 case?

Mike

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
That depends on how strict you want to be about the period-correctness of watches in your collection, it's up to you as a collector to set that standard.

Now a Case 2 would be right for a 1942 vintage 992B, but if you are as picky as I am, a 1928 vintage case 2 (case #040000-050000) wouldn't do, because it isn't strictly period-correct. I'd want a case number in the H575000-H625000 range for it to be period-correct for 1942, according to the IHC Hamilton_Wadsworth Case Number Database.

Many collectors would settle for any Case 2 that has the patent date in the signature, which shows it isn't a postwar case (when the patent date was dropped) . . . a 1928-vintage Case 2 would meet that standard.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
thanks Ed, I'll start looking for a case--and an older 992B movement.

Mike

IHC Life Member
posted
Mike, that is a 1950 950B so the melamine dial is correct.

What case is it in, and what is the case number?

Also let me check if I have a 1942 #2 case in the correct range that Ed mentioned earlier, for your 992B. Maybe we can work something out if I do. I just may have one that I was saving for a 992B movement in that time period. I'll let you know.

Regards,
Larry

Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
Mike, Hi, I have a perfect model 2 case # H66503 and a perfect # 536 RWS porcelain dial if you are interested, however before you contact me ascertain if you really want to put that much money into your 992b. Neither of these items are inexpensive.

philsanchez2020@gmail.com

I also have a perfect script dial if you are interested

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
posted
back

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
posted
#536 dial

Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
posted
back of dial

posted
Larry, the case for the 950B is s/n K375613. Sure, maybe we can work a trade on cases

Mike

IHC Life Member
posted
OK, I'm going out for a bit, but I have to tell you, mine is not as nice as Phil's, and he has the "perfect" dial also.

That case is also period correct for the 950B,

Regards,
Larry