Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Save or Part Out "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Greg Campbell
posted
Elgin grade 125 no name movement ca.1893, 18s, 15J. Perfect hunter case, perfect movement,perfect dial and hands. I can't see any scratches on the movement and there are no service marks on the case.

Running but sounds weak. Probably could do with a service.

Big book says value is 75 / 125 / 265

My question is what do I do with this. I found it in a box and kept it due to it's condition. The way prices hunter cases are going today I could probably do well putting another movement in this, but should I? Or, should I keep this "height of ordinary", original watch together? It would cost more to service this watch than I would ever be able to sell it, assuming someone wants it.

People seem to be upset over parting out or scrapping higher grade watches. Is this only for the high value or do the same people feel that way about all watches? Just curious.

Posts: 116 | Location: Central Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 29, 2003
IHC Member 1693
posted
I like it ! SAVE !!!!

look how Clean the movement is ! it's made it this far, I vote SAVE !

Posts: 352 | Location: Southeast Michigan in the USA | Registered: March 22, 2012
posted
A beautiful combination, Greg. Keep it together, since condition is everything.

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
Greg a movement that nice, even if common, should be left the way you found it excepting any needed servicing. That is just my opinion but it is hard to find even common stuff in that condition.

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009
Picture of David Flegel
posted
Only the Red Sea should be parted. Moses ain't here

Posts: 1212 | Location: Ontario in Canada | Registered: February 06, 2012
posted
I agree with keeping it together but I disagree with the assessment of "height of ordinary". If it was a 7j movement then okay but when the watch was made, a 15j watch with a micrometer regulator was pretty high end. The case is also far above ordinary. It's a very nice watch and deserves to be preserved.

Posts: 328 | Location: Plattsburgh, New York in the USA | Registered: December 17, 2012
posted
quote:
Only the Red Sea should be parted. Moses ain't here

Good one David.....lol.....
I second that ..... Smile

"It's like deja vu all over again..."

Posts: 871 | Location: Savannah, Georgia in the USA | Registered: March 14, 2009
posted
If that watch needs only a cleaning, then the value of it far outweighs the simple maintenance we all face as collectors.

If you don't intend to carry it then put it in the safe for the next owner 50 years down the road and let him worry about cleaning and oiling.

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
The price guide is just the guide you can get top $ for this one just look at it all looks great on it.
Keep it as is.

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
IHC Member 1110
posted
Greg, I too think that one should be kept as is.It's just too nice and all original, and that is a fairly high grade adjusted movement, so it isn't a cheap clunker.That's a keeper! Regards, Ted.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
Tough crowd eh Greg?

I was just wrestling with the same dilemma and my decision has been made, I am leaving my watch as is.

Save it!

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
Picture of Ken Habeeb
posted
How old are those pocket watches you mentioned, Greg? Just say the answer out loud to yourself three times.
Smile

Posts: 921 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: March 25, 2013
Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
Greg, watches in this condition are rare and will only get rarer, keep it all together and original. Ten years down the road you'll be glad you did.
Gary

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Greg, Congratulations on your post. Just a thought, during the 1891-1893 period, Elgin recorded the manufacture of 13,000 Lever setting Grade 125 movements like yours in 7 runs through the s/n range of 4561001-5091000.

Being the Model 2 18s which is the very first production Lever setting design, further inspection of this movement may reward you with a complete, rare and beautifully executed stop works equipped going barrel. That would make it exceptionally rare indeed being that it is of the Model 2. Be very careful though with the wind and setting mechanism because having nearly more parts than the rest of the watch, it is rather fragile.

Of 50,000,000 total watches made by Elgin, this example of the grade 125 Railroad, 15 Jewel Movements represents only 3/10,000th's of Elgin's output making it is far more valuable than the vapid valuation given it by the fat book.

The original combination of the case and movement have a sale or replacement value of probably closer to $500.00 plus if in a legitimate auction. Breaking it up would be sad indeed.

Note, your watch looks to be 4689816, a verified serial number included with these descriptions can help a whole lot when studying these priceless bits of our history.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
posted
In my experience the price guide is about $100-$200 low on hunter case watches.

Posts: 995 | Location: Pleasanton, California in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2012
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
Never part out a watch! Some day you will run across the items you need and then it's pristine again.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
posted
--> [Like]

A nice pocket watch preserved in original condition for the next couple of years.

Regards
Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009