Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

The mighty Vanguard 18s WI "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 525
posted
I`ve always wanted one of these but they are rarely seen . I bought this from a watchman just up the road from me.
Winding Indicators were commonly used in navigation chronometers -- you wouldn`t want your clock to rundown mid Atlantic !
They appeared in railroad grade watches around 1900 & were never made in large numbers due to the extra cost of gearing @ $5 - $10 which would add a large % to the initial cost.
In 1913 Waltham`s 18s & 16s Vanguard indicators were both the same price @ $61.
My watch , made around 1907 has a ratchet/slip mechanism which keeps the pointer between the scale limits ie. UP & D/N

Posts: 106 | Location: North Yorkshire, United Kingdom | Registered: May 05, 2005
posted
Very Nice Derek, I need to find one myself.
Paul

Posts: 317 | Location: Florida in the USA | Registered: December 07, 2009
IHC Member 1357
posted
Nice! On my list for sure.

Roger

Posts: 4087 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
IHC Member 525
posted
The Waltham movement no. 16168350 , one of a batch of 800.

Posts: 106 | Location: North Yorkshire, United Kingdom | Registered: May 05, 2005
IHC Member 1110
posted
Nice watch Derek, the only thing better than an 18s Vanguard is a wind indicator Vanguard, they are some of the finest 18 sizes ever built, bar none!!

Posts: 1322 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
posted
Sweet, I have a Waltham 23j as well. I have mainly BW Raymonds (19,21,23J). Love the wind indicators.

Mine must be broke. I held the up high in the wind and the hand never moved to show velocity

Posts: 175 | Location: Claremore, Oklahoma USA | Registered: January 03, 2003
IHC Member 525
posted
Thanks Rick, I know a young man who bought one of those big plastic green wrist watches, looked liked a Sherman tank wheel. This watch did everything, gave you the time around the world, ambient temperature, surface temperature of the sun & altitude etc.
We were stood on the beach watching the sea one day when I ask him , " Whats the altitude here ?"
" Its 800ft."
"I think it might want recalibrating, or throwing in the sea "