Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

What is this E Howard "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
This looks like a fake to me but thought I would ask to be sure it wasnt something special. Serial number shows it is a series III which you can see it isnt. The movement is marked and spelled correctly. Any input??

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Here is a post from a couple years ago for a watch Buster owns/owned, it has the same harp/lyre symbol as yours and the movement looks very similar but is marked with a different company name.

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...91010082/m/364106003

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
I believe this is a Gallet movement. I have seen several with the small name plate either blank, or with private jewelers names.

Posts: 486 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: March 13, 2010
posted
I forgot to add the trademarks are for pre 1900 Gallet products. The Lyre is a Gallet logo, though there may be other companies with a similar design.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
Thanks Kevin seems like I remember seeing the Lyre mark on Longines movements also, so I wonder what it means.

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
posted
Rob,
I don't recall Longines using a Lyre. You usually see the winged hourglass.

Here is a web-page on Gallet. http://www.enotes.com/topic/Gallet_%26_Co.

It also shows Continental watch co as a brand for the American market.

Kevin