Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

BALL (hamilton) 999B "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of David Johnson
posted
I have come across quite a few 999B's since acquiring this one a couple of years ago. The first thing you notice about these is that Hamilton used the 992B movement and reworded them for Ball. One usually sees a circular damaskeen pattern on the plates.

This is the only one of these movements that I have every seen with a straight line damaskeening. It is a clone of the 992B with the exception of the wording. Serial number is 1B27472. Has anyone seen this damaskeen pattern on one of these before?

David Johnson aka "Doc"
NAWCC Member #155016
IHC Member #169
HisLove1Me! (just ask!)

Posts: 606 | Location: Dade City, Florida USA | Registered: December 12, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Doc,

Thanks for sharing. The movement looks untouched. I viewed the other pictures and didn't see any servicing marks on the screw back either. Looks like it came right out of the box. Very nice indeed!

John D. Duvall
NAWCC Member 144772
NAWCC IHC Happy Camper 192
Chapter 185 Watch Repair Moderator

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
David,
In the October 1972 Bulletin (#160), p. 655, there is a photo of Ball 999B S/N 1B27491 with the same parallel bar damaskeening pattern. This watch and yours are the two highest 999B serial numbers we have listed in our database. My guess is that by the time these last watches were made Hamilton didn't bother to put the special Ball style damaskeening on the plates.

Ed Ueberall
NAWCC #49688
IHC #34
http://members.aol.com/stdwatch/

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Just for the sake of comparison, early c1943 number 1B419 with "Ball Pattern"...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
but everyone wants to see a marked 992B Ball !! please.... Big Grin

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Probably not wise to hold your breath on that one Terry! Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002