Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Old Tool ??? Need Help!!! "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
I picked up some old watch maker tools and trying to figure out what many of them are. I looked through the catalog that John put on the thread but can't find this tool. It is only 1 11/16" round and if you push on the lever it opens the spring on the front flat edge. It has a tiny hole in it and I wondered if it held a pivot?? Thanks for any info. I like to know a little about it when I list it.

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
posted
Robert,
I beleive what you have is a haispring stud table. It is used for holding the hairspring stud while you pin the hairspring in place. The flat area is where you lay the hairspring while you do the pinning.

Larry

Posts: 225 | Location: Belmont, Wisconsin USA | Registered: April 09, 2004
IHC Life Member
posted
Hey Lawrence THanks for the information. Now I can sound like I know what I am talking about when I list it. Big Grin

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
posted
Robert, Any knowledgeable person knows that your article is a doohicky. Wink

Tom

IHC Life Member
posted
Yes Tom That is what I have to call some of these tools that I sell until someone is nice enough to write me and let me know. Now with the 185 and John's catalog I can look up a few pieces or ask before I list. I listed a whatchamacallit last week this week it will be this doohicky. Smile

IHC Life Member
posted
Ok Lawrence or anyone else here is another that I need help on.

IHC Life Member
posted
Another Angle

posted
Robert,
That's a very interesting what-ja-mah-dinger,or it could even be a dinga-mah-hoosey. Smile

Maybe someone else will know what it really is.

Larry

IHC Life Member
posted
Wonder how many Lookers Eek I would have if I put that name as the title. I mihgt try that if no one can help me figure it out. I bet I would get some lookers that normally would not.
"Watchmaker what-ja-mah-dinger Tool!! " LOL Razz
I like the Doohicky name too I will try both on a tool we can't figure out.

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
My question is, how many people type 'doohicky' in a item search on ebay? WinkI may be surprised....I know....

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
Hey Mark it sure would not show up that way but buyers scanning the last 24 hours of what is coming up will see it and will stop and look out of curiousity. I have put "Junk Watch" up before and looked at the counter and it gets more hits than most of the common watches do.

<Guy Smith>
posted
obviously this item is a knibbling pin holder

IHC Life Member
posted
Hey Guy Can you explain a little better to where someone like me can understand what it does. Thanks a million Rob

IHC Life Member
posted
Well I listed it as a "Watchmaker what-ja-mah-dinger Tool!! " So it will be interesting how many hits it will get. Big Grin

posted
I couldn't help myself. I had to look,so one of those hits is mine. Big Grin

Larry

IHC Life Member
posted
I see Samie went a step futher and put a bid in. I guess he needs a what-ja-mah-dinger.

Picture of Larry Pepple
posted
Robert
I think you have a couple of Elliewheels
but I dont know what they are for.
Larry

Larry Pepple

Posts: 47 | Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana USA | Registered: March 09, 2004
posted
Robert,

Email your first bidder, I'll bet he knows what it is... Wink

Posts: 638 | Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin USA | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
I have a idea what it is or might be, i am going to ask Bill a old watchmaker freind of mine with over 50 years at the bench to see if i am right about this thingabob before i say more.. Smile Big Grin

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
posted
Samie,
I hope you let us know what it is when you do find out. Smile

Larry

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Does the spring-loaded arbor have a hole in the tip? It looks like the two arbors may be to hold some type of pivoted shaft. If the hole openings are rounded it may even be for conical pivots, such as on the balance wheel. The black arm looks like a cutter to cut something to a precise length (noting the micrometer feed).

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
IHC Life Member
posted
Hey Jerry the spring loaded arbor does have a hole in the end but neither tip looks rounded but rather are flat. The arm does appear to be sharp enough to be a cutter also.
It is getting more hits than the other tools. Big Grin

IHC Life Member
posted
Still no feedback on any bidders as to what it is. But several bidding so someone must have a good idea and just not sharing info. Notice the counter is 2 1/2 times what the other tools are, so that title is getting attention.

posted
Robert,
I see that your what-ja-mah-dinger is finally sold. Has anyone fessed up to what it is?

Larry

IHC Life Member
posted
No not yet Confused

IHC Life Member
posted
Finally got email back from the winner of this tool. I guess he is talking about the roller jewel end of the pallet fork??

It is a guard pin adjuster. My father was a watchmaker and I have been around these things most of my life and I did not know what it was. I had to call my brother and ask him. He is a watchmaker and I am just a collector. I let him use my tools. We think that it was not a factory made tool, but made by someone who actually used it. Though we have not used it we think it is better than the factory tools. I would be intrested in seeing other tools from this same watchmaker.
Patrick Harmon

posted
Seems like a lot of gizmo just to adjust a guard pin. Smile

Larry