Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Can Anybody Translate German? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
posted
I have developed a collection of Wolf Jahn watchmakers' machine tools. I also have a reprint of their Catalog #28, which is in German. There are lots of illustrations and most of it is pretty intuitive but it would be nice to know what some of the terms mean in English.

If anyone can help me transltate, I would appreciate it.

Posts: 149 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: September 23, 2009
posted
I can help with some terms, I used to be fluent in German.

Posts: 653 | Location: St Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: May 04, 2004
IHC Life Member
posted
To begin with, am I pronouncing the name of the company properly when I say it like "Voolf Yawn"?

I assume "Drehstuhl" means Lathe.

There are many pages that show various chucks, fittings, and lathe attachments with the heading "Preise der Einzelteile von Drehstuhlen".

Pages showing boxed lathe sets with attachments are headed "Praktische Drehstuhl-Zusammenstellungen".

Is "vernickelt" nickel plated? If so, I would assume "lackiert" is some other finish(?) Some lathes are described as "schwartz lakiert".

From the dimensions associated with them, I would deduce that "Spindelbohrung" is spindle bore, "Spitzenhohe" is throw or clear height of spindle above the bed, and "Wangenlange" is the bed length.

Of course, there are many specific terms that describe each individual item but the above terms recur over and over throughout the catalog.

Thank you for your help.

Posts: 149 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: September 23, 2009
posted
Hey Christpher,try this www.freetranslation.com

Posts: 475 | Location: Gainesville, Florida in the USA | Registered: January 22, 2009