• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Illinois Bunn 18 size, Looking for Information. "Click" to Login or Register 
posted

This is my first post this is my Illinois Bunn 18 size,17 jewel,lever set,adjusted,serial no 1256535 made around 1896.the movement is something to look at.The dial and hands you dont see mutch on a Bunn.I saw just a dial like this no watch on Ebay sell for a crazy price.I got vista on my computer I used photo buchet to put these photo's in this post. My computer did not work with the site's to post photo's any help would be nice.

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Mike

Several of the members use Picasa for our photos, it can be down loaded for free from Google. It has an export feature that allows you to export the photos in a size that the site likes. If you do a search from the main site page for Picasa you will find several discussions about it.

Like your Bunn, if you didn't already have this information, your serial number falls in a run that was 1256501-1256700 18s Lever set open face 17 jewel model 6 Bunn's

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Hi Mike, Welcome Aboard! That is a great looking dial and movement. I am sure there will be some good response about it.

As for doing pictures, there is a free photo processing download called "picasa" which is very easy to use and converts pictures immediately into sizes that will easily load to our IHC185 posts.

I suggest you look at that as it will save you a lot of time.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Welcome Mike,
I use photo bucket also, and I also have vista. I copy and paste the last link below the pic you want to transfer. I also use their "old format" to upload pics from my computer.
This works all of the time on IHC185..

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Welcome to IHC185 Mike. Nice watch, cool dial!

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
I was wondering if some one can tell becouse this dial does not have Arabic numbers that it's not railroad grade?And if is railroad grade let know why.

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Actually Mike images are very simple to post and having them hosted on-site means they will never disappear as they will one day with hosting services. With our IHC185 system we place the description and images one at a time, easiest done with a post for each image. Here are some instructions and other information...

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/frm/f/7356029761

Consider joining us for complete access including our Marts and Real Time Members-Only Auctions. It will be the best twelve dollars you will ever spend!

Join and Support the Internet Horology Club 185™

Now about your dial, the movement number 1256535 from 1895 production predates the Railroad Time Safety Requirements that later provided for clear arabic numerals and bolder hands to theoretically make time-keeping less confusing came into play. And of course, all Bunn movements were Railroad Grade but not necessarily all Bunn movements were used in Time Service. You have a perfectly matched and highly desirable set that are correct for that dial, I agree with Tom, Dave and Ed, that is a nice combination and overall a beautiful watch!

Lindell

Wink

More about early Railroad Watches, below see Illinois Springfield number 2357 one of the very first Bunn Adjusted Railroad Watches from September of 1872 with its original dial and hands.

Early Railroad Watches were plain compared to later ones...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
^

Mike, The Bunn models are named after the company president and are the epitome of Illinois Watchbuilding. The Hands speak for an early model Bunn which is probably a 17 Jewel movement adjusted to 4 positions and still RR grade in it's time. The requirements for RR watches to have an Arabic Dial came after the original RR Time act so many early RR watches had Roman numeral dials.

For a "short lesson", I grabbed a couple pieces from my Illinois case and with my Picasa 3 program picture them below . . .
From Left to right;

Left; A 24 Hour "Transitional 5th pinion" Canadian RR watch with Roman Numerals made By Illinois Watch Co. in 1887. It has 11 Jewels, and a cute locomotive engraved on the movement. I have no doubt it was used by a Canadian RR Person in the late 19th century.

Middle; A 1902 Vintage 17 Jewel Bunn Model 6 that again was certainly certifiable for RR use, and could well have served for the next 30 years or more.

Right; A 17 jewel Illinois made in 1917 with a nice, but damaged RR type dial which is NOT RR adjusted, and would be "thrown off the train" by most railroads. . . A good "carry watch".

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Mike, I show below the Meggers description of your watch. The values listed are over 20 years old.

posted
Thanks for all the info

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
David,

The center watch has the unusual factory #1432 Heavy duty spade hands. Not real common and an unusual look to the watch. I have a 23 jewell Bunn Special with the same hands on it. Nice examples I might add.

Steve

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008