Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Old Movment any value? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
I have found a old pocket watch movement that I make out to be made by John Waddell of 88 Field St., Liverpool, probably a table roller 'scapement, made in the 1860s well thats my guess, not running looks complete any value on it

Chris A

p1

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
P2

Chris A

P2

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
P3

Chris A

P3

posted
Hi Chris,

A few Waddells listed but non from Liverpool. One John active from 1866 until 1874. Listed from Southeastern England.. Could be the same.. These movements are nice to collect but will not ever be cased as they are most all one off, with the case made for the movement.. This one has a good set of hands and a usesable end stone. Chain is either off or broken..so ebay sells them from 12.00 to 40.00...more if they run... Hope that helps...

John Pavlik

Posts: 638 | Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin USA | Registered: November 22, 2002
Picture of Stephen L. Russell
posted
Im with John on this one.

Posts: 849 | Location: Victoria, British Columbia Canada | Registered: December 05, 2003
Picture of Stu Goldstein
posted
"will not ever be cased"

Is there no way to shim, say with a dust ring equivalent, to make a case work?

Stu

Posts: 355 | Location: Northern Idaho in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 26, 2002
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi guys,
Sorry bad photograph, chain appears on and in tact just wound fully, do that make much difference

Chris A

p4

posted
Stu,

The problem, besides the diameter, is the type and placement of the hinge, and the location of the winding arbor.. The thickness of the dial and dial plate is also another "problem"when trying to shut the front bezel. In many years of fooling with this I have sucessfully "fitted" one movement to a case, and I think it was just luck. You can still tell it is a recase because most cases have the movement serial number in them...Just think if all American made watches had the movement number stamped in the case... Eek

If it is wound up and not running, could be many things.... from broken staff to hardened oil....

John

Posts: 638 | Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin USA | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
The staff also appears to be broken and also look as if someone has given it the one dip and a shake in a bath of oil!, when I get chance may take it apart and have a play are staff available for these?. Face Dia 37.6 mm hinge at 12, lock at 6, recess behind face is 36 mm, if anyone has a case for those sizes

Chris A

Watch Repair Expert
posted
One of the significant reasons that watches of this sort have nominal value is because NO parts for them are available, neither staffs, cases, or anything else. If you can't make the necessary parts yourself, the chances of ever finding a replacement are essentially 0.

The "neatest" thing I've ever seen done with old movements of this sort is to bend a rudimentary "bow" from a piece of wire, place it through the hinge at the top of the movement, and hang them in a pocket watch dome for use as a desk clock. Aside from that, I've never seen any reasonable way of "using" one.

=================

Steve Maddox
Past President, NAWCC Chapter #62
North Little Rock, Arkansas
IHC Charter Member 49

Posts: 618 | Location: North Little Rock, Arkansas USA | Registered: December 05, 2002