Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Pennsylvania Special "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1613
posted
A friend picked up an 18 size Waltham 1892 Pennsylvania Special and I was wondering if anyone knew how many of these were made…Thanks…Gary

Posts: 2004 | Location: Chesapeake City, Maryland in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011
IHC Member 1110
posted
Gary, did you check on the model 1892 website? There's a lot of good info there.

Posts: 1322 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
IHC Member 1613
posted
Thanks been looking it over but haven’t found anything yet…Just that these are rare…

Posts: 2004 | Location: Chesapeake City, Maryland in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hello Gary,

I am familiar with the various "Pennsylvania" and "Pennsylvania Special" watches made for the H. M. Jacobson and Sons Jewelers of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania by the Illinois Watch Company which are finely finished, high-grade movements. They are not particularly rare but they are prized by collectors. Since I am originally from Pennsylvania, Debbie bought one for me several years ago Wink which makes it VERY special to me.

Jacobson and Sons were Railroad Time Inspectors, I seem to recall they were in business for many years and if memory serves they were still in business when I looked them up not that long ago.

To research your Waltham "Pennsylvania Special" version, it would be essental to have your MOVEMENT NUMBER which would allow follow-up using the Waltham Book which to my mind would be the place to start. The Model 1892 Waltham is a very worthwhile movement and is very popular with collectors.

Sounds like a good acquisition.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 1613
posted
Lindell
I got ahold of Jim Schnieder who has the Waltham 92 web site that T. Brown suggested......This was his response...

There were around 200 of them made Gary. One of the runs is a mixed run so an exact number may never be known. That doesn’t really matter. It is a very collectible piece. Your friend did ok. Jim

Will keep digging to see if there is any other info out there on the web...Serial number 12550512.... 21 jewel OF watch

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Glad we could help.

Remember whenever requesting research information the MOVEMENT NUMBER is the key, you see Jim helped by following up on the movement by that number.

Also remember that private-labels are almost invariably "mixed-runs" which means "guestimates" meaning estimates mixed with educated guesses may be as close as we may come.

Best always,

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002