• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Tansitional Watch Case Question "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I recently picked up a 6oz coin silver hunting case. It happens to be a transitional case. I was going thru multiple 18 size movements trying to locate the correct watch that would be original to the case. The case is a female stem, so the movement would need to be a male stem type. I tried a Rockford and Illinois, but the case screw marks and also back hole for the key did not match up.
I also decided to try a Howard N size, which fit fine into this case. With that, I started wondering if this wasn't possibly made for a 20 size Howard or Waltham.

I then happened to look closer at the cut out for the lever, which was not a standard lever cutout, but an Abbot's patent lever cutout for the lever to move up and down, not in and out....

So, at this point I grabbed an abbot's patent elgin movement and dropped it in. To my surprise, the case screw mark lined up, the keywind hole matched and the abbot's lever moved up and down just fine.

now, the kicker is the lever does not stick beyond the edge of the bezel unless it is engaged to set the hands.

so, my first question is wether or not the lever should stick beyond the edge of the bezel on an abbots patent or did they have it hidden like that so that you wouldn't accidently change the time unless you wanted to. secondly, since this case fits a howard N size, but the case screw marks and keywind hole don't really line up, is there another 20 size movement I should be checking for proper fit?

Thanks,

Jared

Posts: 1626 | Location: North Dakota in the USA | Registered: December 09, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Jared, I think you answered your own question, it fits the Abbot's Patent conversion Elgin. An Elgin/Abbot is a rare and interesting collectible.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007