Tools
Reply to Post

Plastic Pocket Watch Crystals "Click" to Login or Register 
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
what year did they start using Plastic Pocket Watch Crystals?

Larry

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Larry that is a real can of worms. Celluloid Plastic was actually in use before 1900. Molded plastic came into being in the 1920's. Then you have some other cellulose derivatives that could have been used even earlier.
One thing is for sure, the later very hydroscopic acrylic lenses ruined the hands over time because they were permanent "humidifiers".
So MANY TIMES a watch comes in with a perfect movement, an old yellowed out lense and sticks of rust for hands.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Thanks Dave nothing works worse than a pocket watch with a sickly green crystal, and the loss of hands that are hard to replace makes it even worse

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
sticks of rust for hands!!!!

lolololololol

I love that, I have a few too!

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
12-Size Expert
Picture of Robert Schussel
posted
My advice is that if a crystal is yellow or green in color get rid of it ASAP

Bob

Posts: 621 | Location: Vallejo, California U.S.A. | Registered: July 10, 2004
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
How can you tell the difference between a glass vs plastic crystal?
I tried the old, tapping with the finger nail trick but my hearing is terrible and I can't tell much difference.

Thanks
Ed

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Generally the plastic crystals (left side picture) have a softer "roll" at the edge radius, while the Glass (Right side Picture) has a Bevel, or No "roll" at all.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Lindell tried to walk me through this today. I am still now to sure what I hear when I tap on it. Maybe this pic will help.

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
IHC Member
posted
My personal favorite has always been tapping the crystal on a tooth ( a real one ,of course! Wink), the "ting" is almost always unmistakable.

Marty

Picture of Brian C.
posted
If you really can't tell if the crystal is glass or plastic, take a pin and try and scratch a little bit of the crystal, in a place that won't be seen. If the pin leaves a scratch, the crystal is plastic, if not, it's glass.
Brian C.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
Picture of James H. Miller
posted
this may sound odd but i tell by feel to me glass feels cooler to the touch then plastic.but then you have to play with a lot of crystals to get the feel.

Posts: 279 | Location: Wheatridge, Colorado in the USA | Registered: January 20, 2008