• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton 992L "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
What do the letters mean after the 992?I know the E stands for Elinvar,what do the B and L stand for?Thanks.Norm

Posts: 484 | Location: Georgia in the United States | Registered: August 04, 2010
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
In the "old" 992's BEFORE the 992B and E there was a suffix used for Setting type, "L" was for Lever, "P" for Pendant. Then the 1930-40's "992E" came along which was the first Elinvar equipped 992 and all of those were Lever setting (I think), same for the following "992B" which was a complete re-design of the 992 movement where ALL of the parts are supposed to be "interchangeable" such that you disassemble 5 watches, scramble the parts and re-assemble 5 that all work the same.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Thanks David.I've just started getting interested in The 992.It seems like there are more different dials and cases than any other watch.Being a member of this group is a good place to learn.Regards.Norm

Posts: 484 | Location: Georgia in the United States | Registered: August 04, 2010
Picture of Roland Glenn
posted
Hi Norm.

You'll also find that the earlier 992's had very nice demaskeening on the movement plates where the later models became more machined and not as detailed, but were more better adjusted.
The Elgin B W Raymonds went the same way also.

I prefer the earlier pre 1930 look on most pocket watches, but for Swiss I like the later thinner ones.

Roland

R. Glenn

Posts: 437 | Location: Ryde, Isle of Wight, United Kingdom | Registered: January 18, 2010