Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hampden Babe Ruth - Is this real? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 708
posted
I saw this watch on Ebay. they say it is a Hampden. I have never seen one like it. I thought Ingersol or Westclox did most of the charactor watches. Waht can anybody tell me about this watch?

Steve Cohen

Posts: 153 | Location: Montgomery Village, Maryland USA | Registered: March 15, 2006
IHC Member 708
posted
Here is the movement

Steve Cohen

Posts: 153 | Location: Montgomery Village, Maryland USA | Registered: March 15, 2006
IHC Member 708
posted
Here is info about the case

Steve Cohen

posted
Steve,

The movement is a 15 jewel Hampden...The dial, that is very difficult to tell.. Could be a current computer generated add on or who knows..?? ask the seller some questions about it.. Serial number appears a bit early for "Ruth"..

Posts: 638 | Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin USA | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC Member 708
posted
Thanks John, i will ask the seller about the face

Steve Cohen

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Steve,

I am very suspicious by nature, that can serve one well at times like this. Big Grin

Like John I have big doubts about a movement from the first decade of the Twentieth Century fronting a dial with the image of a 1920s hero. The doubts increase when looking at the grainy look of the dial. After all, fuzzy dials like that will rarely make us feel all warm and fuzzy-wuzzy. Wink

Recently our own Adam Hutira provided an "Avoiding the Pitfalls of On-Line Trading" primer on and warning about faked-up character watches...

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4726044861/m/1551061402

That one looks like it's probably a foul ball. Roll Eyes

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Steve,

100% A FAKE. I am going to post some more information under the link which Lindell Provided if you would like to take a look.

Thanks,

Adam

Posts: 311 | Location: Near Youngstown, Ohio USA | Registered: January 11, 2006
IHC Member 708
posted
Thanks Lindell and Adam, I just learned alot in a short time. this seller in response to my email claimed they didn't know if the watch was real or not and they asked me if I could help. should I respond? Should I tell them I know it's a fake and how I know?
Thanks Again,
Steve

Steve Cohen

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Thanks Steve,

In my opinion you should absolutely clue the seller in on the fact they have a recent fake on their hands. Often resellers are innocently passing along the story of what they were told or assume to be true.

Suggest they come here and learn more about our hobby. The comparitive low cost of 185 Membership could prove very worthwhile to this or any watch seller.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Steve,

I agree with Lindell 100%. A lot of times people will purchase something at an antique shop or flea market and not know it isn't original. With all of the fakes out there, some very well done, It is sometimes very hard to tell for a collector, let alone someone who is not. The seller seems honest and gave you an honest reply. They seem to want to know, so I wouldn't hesitate to reply.

Just my 2 cents.

Adam

Posts: 311 | Location: Near Youngstown, Ohio USA | Registered: January 11, 2006
IHC Member 708
posted
Lindell & Adam,
I will clue in the seller and inform them about Chapter 185. They seem sincere about their lack of knowledge.

Steve Cohen