Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

14k Getty Hunter "Rescue" "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
I'm not sure it ever makes sense for me to try to rescue movements or cases, but I could not resist buying a very pretty 14k Dubois hunter case last year. I didn't think it would be hard to find a suitable homeless 16-size lever set movement, but it wasn't easy for me. I think I posted an assistance appeal on this board, among other things, seeking a high-end movement for my high-end case. I finally acquired a very modest Illinois Getty Grade 184 17j unadjusted movement, which my watchmaker overhauled and installed in my case. The results are pretty, but if any of you have a really great movement that needs a great case, I'd be happy to return the Getty to the homeless ranks.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Other side.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Dial.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
1913 inscription. Let me know what you think the owner's last name is. It's hard to read.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Movement. Note the movement was made in 1905. The case is as much as 8 years younger.

IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
quote:
1913 inscription. Let me know what you think the owner's last name is. It's hard to read.

Comparing the r, u, s and t to others in the engraving I am going with Brüstle.

A little German roll of the tongue tip for the "r" with the ü pronounced "ewww" then a distinction between the "t" and "le", the "le" being pronounced like in the word led.

Brrewwst le

As a result of this I have discovered how to type accents. Cool

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Ethan,

If it makes you feel good about your watch, your "rescue" is appropriate. Good going Ethan!

I've seen enough nice solid gold cases containing "height of ordinary" movements like your Illinois Grade 184 to know that you're on solid ground as far as horological history is concerned too.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
John Brüstle: (John Bruestle) he was brew master of the New Orleans Standard Brewing Company (1905) and became later additional director.(1913)

Regards
Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Thanks. I read it as "Brustle" too, but I just wasn't sure.