WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham Vanguard 23j 16s with diamond endstone, how common? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I picked up a Waltham Vanguard 1908 (early model with the nice dmk effect) that has a diamond endstone and wondered how common this is. It in a base metal case and someone did not know how to get the bezel off so they took a chisel or screw driver and drove it off, killing the case all for 125. It is missing one hand and probably needs a new dial but the movement is in pristine condition. This is my second 23j Vanguards and they are very nice grades.

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
posted
Hi Claude,
As to how common I surely can not say with any authority, but I also have a 16s 23 J Vanguard with a W/I that has the diamond end stone. So simply by that I do not think to scarce.
Bill

Posts: 1278 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 19, 2008
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Bill is right, a DES is a nice thing to have, but is by no means rare and it adds only marginally to the value.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted

posted
You see the des some Elgin Veritas models and some without, same for the 18s 19j BWR, I wondered how common they were for the 23j Vanguard

IHC Member 1110
posted
Claude, the 19J Vanguards have them too.I think the diamond end stones were gone by the late teens.I remember looking at a mid-twenties 23J Vanguard that still had the nice Old English lettering and fancy damaskeening, but was marked 6 positions and had no DES's.Take care, Ted.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
posted
Hi Claude,
I have I think 4 Waltham 1892's with them, a Elgin Gr.367 F/T, and an old 1856 English John Forrest with it. I original thought that it was only the odd high end watch that had them, but am not so sure now. As much as I like my old John Forrest do not know how really high end that is.
Bill

Posts: 1278 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 19, 2008
IHC Member 1110
posted
I was just looking at my '08 model 21J 16S Crescent St., and noticed that it too has clear jewels on the balance ( but not with facets like the Vanguard), and all the upper jewels on the train bridge are clear too.Only the escape wheel cap jewel and pallet arbor are red, like ruby.Would all those clear jewels be sapphire?S.N. is 20083446.Anyone else have one like that?I've seen some sellers in their description of some Crescent St.'s say they have diamond end stones, but they weren't mentioned in the factory advertising.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Colorless stones that are faceted are usually diamonds, those that are not faceted usually are sapphires, but the only way to tell for sure is with a jeweler's gemstone tester. You can get a good one of those on eBay for around $200.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
Ed, a catalogue in the South Bend Research forum makes reference to "olive hole balance jewels".

Do you know what that means?

South Bend Catalogue, 1911

EDIT: Answered in next post, thanks G. Smile

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
posted
Lorne

The holes are not cylindrical but widened at both ends (the hole wall has the shape of an olive).

Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
posted
I have four Vanguards (two M08 16s and two M92 18s), and they all have diamond end stones.

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
posted
I have a 23J Vanguard and a 21J Crescent Street, both RR grade. Both watches have diamond center jewels.

They must have felt that the diamond center jewel gave them a competitive advantage.

RBL

Posts: 148 | Location: Seattle, Washington in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2008
posted
As Ed stated above:

all colorless cap stones with no facets and all colorless stones with holes are sapphires - as far as I know and otherwise i would like to have it proven.

Regards
Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009