WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham 16 size Vanguard Open face pendant set question "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I picked up a 1908 Vanguard (1910) and when I checked it on the database decoder it comes out as a pendant set. I have learned that the hunters were pendant set but I was not sure if the open face pendant set existed and how many were made.

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Claude, an unknown number of 08's in the period you describe ended up with Hermaphrodite machined dial plates that could be fitted for either pendant or lever. If that applied to the hunter Movements is only a guess.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
When it arrives I will check it out and post some pictures. On the topic of watches being restored this one looks like it took a hit on the case bezel pretty much ruining the case and it has some dial damage that could be fixed with TiO2 paint but the movement itself look extremely clean so I picked it up. I know Waltham made a boat load of 23j 16s size later on but this one has the nice dmk effect and raised gold jewel settings and worth restoring.

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Claude,
Tell us about the TiO2 paint?
Where to get it, what to use it for, etc.

I'm still experimenting in the dial repair area, and haven't figured it out yet.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
posted
I can look at the brand name on mine but I picked it up at an "arts and craft" type store. Some is in bottles, some in tubes but the paint itself is high conc of TiO2 and in the bleached form. Most of the time it is listed as Titanium white or something along those lines. I dab it on with a tooth pick and then level it with a sharp flat edge and let it dry. If you look you can tell it is a repair but since it is a bright white it does not quite stick out like a sore thumb.

I use it on porc dials to fill in chips or missing chunks of a dial that is basically good but has a flea bite, chip, or chunk missing.

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Thanks Claude, I'll check the "Hobby Lobby" here in town.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
posted
I think Hobby Lobby is where I picked mine up at but here is a hobby lobby link to some to give you an insight. Hobby Lobby Titanium white

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Good, that sure narrows it down.

I've also considered enamel touch up paint for gas/electric ranges.
I used to work on restoring old kitchen stoves ( Merritt & O'Keefe, Wedgewood, Chambers, etc. )and that enamel is some good stuff. Dries hard and has a good shine. Comes in various shades of white.

Dave Turner

posted
The acrylic paint like what was mentioned is nice if it starts to yellow years from now some other collector can just pop out the repair patch and put some newer and maybe even better stuff in. So while it the repair looks good it can be removed where paint used on stoves or such might be as good looking it would probably also be much more permenant.