To work safely and successfully on our watches takes six things,

IHC185 Membership
A sharp screwdriver
Practice
A sharp Screwdriver
Patience
A sharp screwdriver

FINALLY!!! Cool

MICRO-MARK HAS THE "COMPLETE" SHARPENER KIT READY TO GO. THE SAME AS $150.00 SWISS RIGS, BUT THIS ONE IS $20.00.

Get your at;

http://www.micromark.com/screw...sharpener,10288.html

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Thanks Dave....order placed....

Regards,

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
I got one just like it from E Bay, a few months ago for 12.00. The stone has a small chip in it on one corner like maybe it was dropped but I don't use the corners anyway.
Is an EXCELLENT unit after you learn to align the screwdriver blade so it is flat. I hold the stone up to eye level and then make sure the blade is laying flat on the stone surface. You can change the screwdriver blade to sharpen at any angle you wish and even remove chipped corners from the blade. I've been using 3 in 1 oil but think a good cutting oil would maybe be better.
You are right David, it is a great little in-expensive unit that really does work and is very well made also.
Patrick. 1616

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
IHC Member 1555
posted
Hi All,

I am quiet interested in the way screwdrivers are sharpened these days, the tapered ends that you see on most new screwdrivers and also the style of sharpeners that are available in my opinion do not do a correct job (in my opinion). If you look closely as you use your screwdriver with this type of taper you will actually see it ride-up in the screw slot (the taper causes the torsional stress to push the driver upwards). If extra downwards pressure is not exerted a slip occurs thereby scratching the watch piece. The ideal way to sharpen them is to have the blade sharpened the same thickness, ending in a concaved curve at the shoulder. I have seen sharpeners that are like an upright pencil sharpener, these have two round stones and the screwdriver goes down in the center, turn the handle and presto, pefectly sharpened screwdrivers with the correct blade head.

I hope this is of interest to others and would like to know what other horologists think.

Best Regards to All,
Bila

Posts: 2265 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
The British had this figured out a long time ago. When will the Americans figure it out!

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...891030603#3891030603

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
IHC Member 1555
posted
Hi Edward,

Close to the same result as the pencil sharpener type radius at shoulder is a little bit heavy on the pencil type. When I talk to the brother again I will get him to email a couple of photos to show everyone the type of tool I am talking about. He has two, I have been trying for a while now to prise one from him, but no luck, probably holding on to it as the stones are hard to come by.

Bila

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Most assuredly the Hollow gorund screwdrivers are best for anybody who wants to spend US$400-US$900 on the equipment rather than far less and a little more careful use of the blade.

For those affluent enough, go to Jules Borel at;
http://www.julesborel.com/tool/TC08page0261.htm

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Then there is the one I found on eBay that could nearly be tooled up for the cost of one the Kilo-buck imports. Anybody want to Join in on investing in a new product?! . . .

IHC Member 1555
posted
Hi David,

This is the same as my brothers two, he also picked them up on Ebay,for a song . Thanks for posting the pictures.

BIla

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
You guys, I am not a watchmaker person, never had the mechanical aptitude, so I sit in revor of you that are Cool

But I see a lot of money on the table for some of these elite sharpeners Eek

Yes, I have need for a jewelers screwdriver to case a mvmt, change a busted dial, etc. But really I can buy all NEW blade replacements for my jeweler's set of screwdrivers for less than $2 a pop shipped when they begin to wear down or start rounding off. That goes for all my blades from size.60 to 3.00

Now no more than I use them since I am not a jeweler nor a watchmaker, that would and will be my approach. The only reason I could think of for me to resharpen a blade on my screwdriver would be if I had no replacement blade in stock. So far that has not happened.

If you are a watchmaker/jeweler then I understand perfectly...... then there are others that must have all the tools Big Grin this goes with the hobby I suspect and I am all for you also Smile

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
Good point Buster ! How many sets of blades can you buy for a Bergeon 30009 set of 9 for $349.00 ? Ya, It's handy but for $350.00 I think I will buy the replacements. I'm 67 with health issues and don't think I will live long enough to make it pay!!!!! and I do lots of repairs....
Patrick 1616.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Buster I agree about buying blades, and find that they work much better "dressed" after receipt. I buy steel blades from esslingers which are about 45 cents a pop and have served the purpose magnificently

http://www.esslinger.com/replacementbladeset.aspx