Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Who asked about symbols on movements? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
I found some information on the SYMBOLS on the inside of the movements of watches.
We wrote about it here I think, and had links to a site for symbols too. Does anyone know where it was, or was that another message board? I have been only here for a good while, so I figured it was here.
Let me know if it's on this board OK?
I'm posting them on my website to see if they work, and will post them here, if they do.
Thanks,
Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
posted
Not a great post, but it will do.
From Waltham Book published in 1922
"Mental Nuts Can You Crack 'em?"

So, I guess it explains how the symbols connect to the watches, now we need that site page so we can connect them.

Last, the first picture is of the symbols that are on watches, and the second one is what they mean and THAT is what is on that site. They were symbols for things like Gold, etc.

Help!

Sheila

posted
Example of the symbols and what they represent.

Gold was a circle or a DOT. Mostly a dot but could be both and like on the waltham linked page that shows basically a half of a box it may mean house= gold in house= Gold Inside.

AS IN GOLD wheels etc.

Pretty neet huh?

Sheila

posted
LITTLE NOTES IN YOUR WATCHES!!!!
Naturally I forgot to link the site.
Also, the above information is not really understandable unless you have read the pages and learn about them. ergo the house symbol and gold etc. House can be understood in many ways and in many forms. Pretty common really.
Enjoy.

Didn't know that you had little NOTES in your movements did ya? !!!!!

http://www.symbols.com/encyclopedia/26/index.html

http://www.symbols.com/encyclopedia/04/index.html

Sheila

posted
Sheila,
Congrats on your Gold Pansey Watch. It is nice and I know you are proud of it and you should be. I don't recall ever seeing one before.

I haven't seen the Waltham Eagle symbol on a watch before. Do you have any examples?

The nuts and bolts book by Waltham appears to missing some pages and may be misleading you. It looks like the symbolds start out at number 59. This booklet was a jewelers give away to customers or potiental customers and these puzzles are for fun to work out the answers similar to cryptoquotes and word jumbles.

I haven't run across any of the other symbols in the charts you posted. I don't think that the "Metal Stamping Act" allowed these symbols on watch cases.

I admire your research and enthusism. I have a project for you to check out if you have some time. I was trying to find out when the FTC (Federal Trade Commission) ruled that watch cases must stop using the year warranties on cases. Ex: Warranted to wear 25 years etc.

I used to live in the Washington area and soft shells are at their peak about now and I wish I could enjoy some.

posted
Hi Jim,
Thank you for the word on my "Pansy" I do love it. I have been looking for one for about 2 years now, and that was the first one I found in all that time. UNTIL the other day that is!
I have anouther one too. I just won it on Sunday and will be getting it next week.

About the symbols. (On MY site) The first picture (is the question #58)is of some symbols that look like some seen inside the movements or on the plates of a watch movement, that was talked about on this message board, (I think) and we were trying to find the meaning of them. The second one (On MY site) is the answer to #58. They are what the first symbpls mean, and they represent words, and are what you use to find out what it all means.
Your right, I just didn't post the other half of the page. I posted the question with both pages and the answer with just one.
Answer #58 is the one that should match up with the symbol pages, on the OTHER symbol site, and they do, if you know how to read symbols. Not hard, you just have to know the "Best" definition for the symbol used. See Above.

Check your watches, you will find the symbols on some of them. Usually inside the movement, but some are right next to the serial number.
They are slight, just look like half a box or a letter L with a dot .
inside it. an open box with an arrow means inside. so a [_] is a house or inside. and -> inside and <- and so on. Dot . so a box with an arrow and a dot inside it means gold inside. !!!

About the Waltham Eagle, NO, this is the only example I have of it. It's the first time I have seen it too, I posted it on another message here. I will continue to try to find more of them, I got this one from the Patent Office.
I could e-mail it to you.

As far as the year warranties on cases, I would be happy to look for the information for you. I have no idea if I will be any good at it, but I will try, and post here if I find anything.

Last, Chesapeake Bay Blue Crabs, are the BEST CRABS IN THE WORLD, bar none.
We had a HUGE Crab, and Steamed Shrimp Feast on Sunday, and it was fantastic. They are HUGE this year, and taste great. I live on crabs all summer, and I go crabbing and do up a ton of crabmeat and crabcakes to freeze for winter. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm good!

I will pray for you, cause it's gotta be rough without them. lolol

You guys look around at your watches, you will find the symbols, I'm sure. Too many found them before for you not to have any.

Good Hunting!

Bless All,

Sheila

IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
Jim,
My understanding is that the requirement by the U.S. gov't to require actual metal content to be listed on watch cases was introduced about 1924/5. I have heard this from several sources, but I do not have any written documentation to back it up.

Ed Ueberall
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002