• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Illinois 12 size Admiral with Rotor Dial "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I just came across this watch and really like it. I was just wondering if anyone has seen one before and had any information on this. I think this watch is beautiful.

I thank you in advance,

John

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Very interesting and attractive.

My impression is that of a Hamilton "Secometer" influence on this one. As we all know Hamilton took over Illinois in 1928 which of course predates the 1929 introduction of and trademark filing for Hamilton Secometers. I believe there were a few Ball-Illinois put together like this as well.

Let's see the movement!

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Lindell,

Here is a photo of the movement. The name on the box the watch came is Illinois 12 size Dorian.

Picture of Jim Carroll
posted
John,
The watch predates the Hamilton period, it was made in 1925 and the last 406 grade was made in 1926.
I have a record of one other “Secometer” in this grade Serial No. 4693915, although how many of these watches were made I couldn’t say.
As for the condition, the outer and inner boxes and the watch look pristine,
Look’s a great buy.

Jim Carroll

Posts: 77 | Location: Inverclyde Scotland | Registered: November 23, 2002
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
For the sake of accuracy, Illinois called this feature a "Rotor-Second" ("Secometer" was trademarked by Hamilton and Waltham called theirs a "Seconds Indicator").

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Jim - although the movement may predate the Hamilton period, the final assembled watch appears to be from after the buy-out. You will notice that the boxes are marked "The Illinois Watch" and even the case is marked "Illinois Watch, Springfield". The lack of "Co." after the name indicates the Hamilton period. The box has the matching movement serial number, so we know it is original.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
Picture of Jim Carroll
posted
Great Spot Jerry,
I suppose we will never know how long the movement lay in the factory or the watch with a jeweller before being sold.

Jim Carroll

Posts: 77 | Location: Inverclyde Scotland | Registered: November 23, 2002