Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Delong escapements?? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Help Please on DeLONG ESCAPMENT.......
I just was looking for general info.
I was checking to see how desirable they really are and why there is such a huge difference in price
between a regular 992-b and one with the Delong escapement. I don't see where one is that much or even any better
than the others.

Posts: 267 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Difference in price? try finding one!

I am not completely sure a 992B was fitted with a deLong.... too much time difference....

There are bulletin articles in the past couple of years on them....can't get to em right now..

But...

in the early 'teens' Charles DeLong devised an escapement with upright round pallets. In short, the escapement was more efficient in theory, allowing a weaker mainspring to be used.

He fitted some A. Lincoln movements, Some Bunn Special movements, and some Ball movements with the escapement. Not sure of any on 992 movements

There was an example found at Ft. Mitchell this year in the parking lot mart....

It never 'caught on' for various reasons....

The 'story' goes there were some components floating around over the years.

unless someone else comes in, will get some more info later...

posted
Thanks Terry.........

My VERY GOOD Friend has a 992B DeLong one of the earliest made that he just purchased the whole inventory of a watchmaker.

He's looking to place it on ebay very shortly if I can give him the correct info on it.

Any offers? (maybe)??? I dont know if he will sell it outright or not.

He said it is marked Delong.......
I'll get the serial number

[This message was edited by Mike Nardick on July 18, 2003 at 17:59.]

Posts: 267 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Sam Williamson
posted
Hey Mike,be sure to let us know the Delong and Deshort of the outcome! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin[couldn't resist myself!]

Sam Williamson
NAWCC 154312
IHC Charter Member 14
Member Chapters 96 and 185

Posts: 618 | Location: Northwestern Florida in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 27, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
All your Delongs belong to me! Big Grin Or, since we're making fun of Mike, how bout get delong little doggies. Roll Eyes

Where do we start the bidding?

IHC Member 25
IHC Life Member (L6)

Posts: 661 | Location: Wisconsin in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 07, 2002
posted
Stay Tuned: more to come........ Big Grin

Mike Nardick

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Mike,

Are you certain it's a 992B or might it be a 992? I'd agree with Terry that it should be a somewhat earlier watch... but we know to never say never. Shugart does list a 992B DeLong, but I'm skeptical.

If indeed that watch is for real it is exceptionally rare and valuable. By all means let's see some pictures, numbers and such.

Any chance of getting a list of what your friend bought?

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Sorry, no chance of a list he bought over $40,000 worth of tools & watches. The guy was a past president of the watch makers guild that turned ill.
He said the 992B Delong was a very early model of just a few. Eek
I'm still waiting for the sn & pic, He might not be in his shop this late, maybe in the morning?

Stay tuned to eBay......

posted
mike,
see my post above, i edited for bulletin article

but that link goes to page 2....

posted
Serial Number is C-55147

posted

posted
ANOTHER GREAT WATCH HE BOUGHT...... Eek

posted
Mike,

That watch dosent appear to have the upright pallets.
I have never seen a Delong but that dosent look like they are described. I believe I can see the pallet stone and it dosent look any different to me.

Any other opinions?

Aaron

Posts: 945 | Location: Geneva, Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
I HAVE NO IDEA, HES SENDING MORE PICS
PLUS I SENT LINDELL HIS PHONE NUMBERS.....
*SHRUGS*

Mike Nardick

posted
Serial Number is C-55147 Confused

posted
cannot tell at that angle...
would be interested in case serial number and markings....

posted
case serial number is 4741160 and is marked both star and Hamilton. in the book it is called a model 16

posted
WELCOME JOHN......... Big Grin
THE GUY THAT OWNES THE DELONG IS READING HEAR BUT CANT POST YET. HE HAS TO REGISTER.
LIN CAN YOU HELP HIM PLEASE?

IHC President
Life Member
posted
Mike,

He can register right now.

Aaron and I are on the phone right now. Aaron will get in touch with Ed Ueberall in the morning for an opinion. I will call your friend in the morning as well.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
BELIEVE ME, FROM WHAT JOHN EMAILED ME, THE WATCH WAS CHECKED & DOUBLE CHECKED, EVEN BY HAMILTON.
WAS TOLD YES.....DELONG. Wink

posted
Mike,

Tell the man to register. We are waiting. Wink

Aaron

Posts: 945 | Location: Geneva, Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
I THINK HES IN USERS WENT UP TO 249 FROM 248.....
WE WILL SEE.......

posted
Mike,

Do you know if the man sleeps?
Maybe thats what he's doing. Big Grin

Mike, His e-mail registration just came in.

Welcome John!
Aaron

IHC Member 179
E. Howard Expert
Picture of Harold Visser
posted
The best way way to determine the escapement type is to just look and see if the pallet fork has upright pallet jewels that resemble roller jewels in shape,i.e. round with a flat side like the picture shows.
Harold

Posts: 352 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona USA | Registered: November 25, 2002
posted
UPDATE PLEASE, DID ANYONE CALL ED OR JOHN?
JOHN, DOES YOURS LOOK LIKE THE PIC ABOVE?

Mike Nardick

posted
Lindell, did you call John? Confused

posted
Mike,

I just dont see any difference in the photos compared to a regular 992b.
I'm just waiting for Ed, Terry or somebody to give an expert opinion. The pallet stones look conventional to me.

John D, What do you think?

Confused

Aaron

IHC President
Life Member
posted
Everyone

I spoke with John Moeller for over an hour. He appears to be an open and friendly guy who is trying to figure out exactly what he has. At this point, there is no conclusive evidence as to whether he does or does not have a 992B with DeLong escapment. Apparently there is something unusual about this particular movement. The only way to be certain will be to remove the balance bridge and photograph the pallet fork and any other applicable details.

On Monday John is intending to ship the watch to me and when it arrives we will get to the bottom of the situation. I will bring in Watchmaker Rich Kuhn for the examination. Rich will assist me in determining what the watch is or is not. We will do our best to take sharp, clear images. Once we have the images they will be made available for everyone to see on our Chapter 185 Discussion Site and sent to several noteworthy experts for further evaluation.

Stay tuned for further developments!

Lindell

UPDATE... By now you probably know the watch was never shipped to us for evaluation and the imaginary "DeLong" came up painfully short. We will always follow up on reported sightings, but we will also remember that skepticism is a very healthy thing to have.

Wink

[This message was edited by Lindell V. Riddle on August 03, 2003 at 16:00.]

posted
In the Shugart Price Guide to Watches NO. 22 on page #271 there is a side by side comparison of the standard escapement and the DeLong escapement. In the Price Guide to Watches NO. 23 the comparison is shown on page #273. These examples clearly show the difference and what to look for. Hope this helps to identify the 992B. Wink

Phil Dellinger
NAWCC# 157070
IHC Life Member (L12)

[This message was edited by Phil D on July 19, 2003 at 20:24.]

posted
ED U. Any Comments here?

posted
I seen the watch in person today, I'm by far NOT an expert, but it matched up to all the pics. It is Delong, It will be at the 37 mart/meeting on the 3rd.

The Masonic Trianglar is a KILLER Watch, Never Worn, Orininal Band. Wink

[This message was edited by Mike Nardick on July 21, 2003 at 19:43.]

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Did you end up buying the wrist watch, Mike? Regards. Mark

NAWCC Member 157508
NAWCC-IHC Member 163

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
Nope.....Its not a watch I can wear everyday.
I'm winning an auction for an everyday watch........might have to snipe Big Grin Big Grin

Mark, If I had the money I would buy it Frown
It's a keeper..... Wink