• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Some Dial Questions "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
A friend has an Illinois 163A. It is supposed to be all original. However, the watch has a metal dial. Can that be correct? The same friend has a Hamilton 950B with a terrible melamine dial. Can it be replaced with a correct enamel dial?

Posts: 767 | Location: Los Osos, California USA | Registered: December 12, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

I think you'll find factory original metal dials were long gone by the time your friend's 163-A came was produced. Most collectors prefer one of the four styles of porcelain-enamel "variant dials" as follows...

Heavy Arabic with "Illinois Bunn Special / 23-Jewel, 60 Hour" above seconds bit.

Montgomery with "Illinois Bunn Special / 23-Jewel, 60 Hour" above seconds bit.

Heavy Arabic with "Illinois 23J Bunn Special / 60 Hour, 6 Positions" above seconds bit.

Montgomery with "Illinois 23J Bunn Special / 60 Hour, 6 Positions" above seconds bit.

The most desirable 163A variant dial is this one shown below...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
posted

Now, if we're going to say "all original" check out this example...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Jerry, Post ww-2, Hamilton was selling metal replacement dials for all watches that they had produced. I have seen them in original factory packing. These were a cheap alternative for the customer to replace a damaged Hamilton dial. This metal dial on the 163A was probably factory produced, but certainly not factory original.

Tom

IHC President
Life Member
posted

Excellent points Tom!

Now, about the 950B with the broken up melamine dial...

Melamine dials came in during the late 1940s and they are clearly shown in Hamilton's 1949 catalog. The serial number of your friend's 950B would help in establishing whether of not his watch should have porcelain-enamel or melamine composite dial. Correct original dials are around. Few are available and prices are climbing.

You asked... "Can it be replaced with a correct enamel dial?" ...of course it can. The next question is whether or not it would be appropriate. With values escalating we need to be more concerned with authenticity. I often quote Mike Chamelin... "We should collect non-argumentative examples"...meaning watches that conform to original factory information, advertisements and boxed sets such as the one we looked at above this posting.

950B number S17923 from 1953 melamine dial...

IHC Life Member
posted
Nice Bunns Lindell. Sorry, it had to be said. Roll Eyes

Larry

Posts: 661 | Location: Wisconsin in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 07, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
posted

Just for Larry, here's another one (Bunn)
Eek

IHC President
Life Member
posted

And for fun, here comes the other one!
Big Grin

posted
Lindell: The serial number on the 950B is S23065

posted
I just told my friend that he needs a different dial for his watch. So now starts the hunt. I think I have seen some 163A's with bold dials that just say Illinois, without the Bunn Special, 23 jewel 60 hour data. Are they correct? By the way, the 163A is in a tu-tone model 28 case. Now, don't tell me that is incorrect also.

Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
Lindell, I have a nice Dennison Gauge and movement gauge(see in the For Sale section)...I would be willing to trade you those for the second watch(in the case). Let me know ASAP...before they sell!

lol
greg

Posts: 497 | Location: Genoa, New York U.S.A. | Registered: November 06, 2003
IHC President
Life Member
posted

Gee Greg, you generosity know no bounds! Big Grin

Jerry, your friend's 950B is a late number requiring a melamine dial. They are out there, but as I said above prices are going up on them. Is the style of his dial like the one above?

The bold looking Illinois dials like the last one above but with only "Illinois" are the standard 163A dial and those are available at reasonable prices. In order to be correct for the time when 163A was in production they must have the big, outward pointing triangles and the large "Illinois" signature you see in the dials above.

Your friend's Model 28 two-tone case sounds exactly right! The frame should be green-gold-filled and both back and bezel would be white. Those are magnificent cases! Is it engraved design or smooth on the back?

Hope this helps,

Lindell

Wink