Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Effect of salesmen's case on value "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 935
posted
I see listings of watches encased in a "salesmen's case," and wonder if this is desirable or undesirable, especially as to value. Also, I wonder if this could mean that the movement was taken out of another case and installed in the salesmen's case and, if so, how this affects desirability.

Posts: 175 | Location: Davis, California USA | Registered: March 10, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Mortimer To me the only "real" "Salesman's Case" is signed by the watch manufacturer and comes in a wooden case and allows the watch movement to be removed for inspection by the Watchmaker/Jeweler/Customer. I have also seen double glass sided conventional cases that are "signed" by practically all the "Big Time" watchmakers which could be salesman's cases, or just show off cases.

The Wooden Cased watches have their own intrinsic collector value, probably around 150% of the actual watch in a "used metal case.

The Signed Double Glass cases, may have some added value, but I have seen too many that appear to be made by a Dollar Watchmaker with tinny snap on covers, etc., which is (to me) "un-pretty".

While the idea of a "salesman's case" may have started with these dual glass cases, I have seen too many "normal" cases modified to "Hide" (hack a hole in the center of the back cover and replace with a crystal) U.S. Govt. Property markings, unwanted "gift" or "Initial" engravings on the back covers, or just worn through to the brass covers, etc., etc.

The Hacked cases have (to me) NO Value. I bid for the movement only.

ergo, if it is a manufacturer's named case, it MIGHT be legit. If it is a split for easy movement removal display case in a nicely fitted wooden case I would say for sure it could be a "Salesman's Case"

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
The watch case was easy to open and inspect the movement it held. Nice presentation piece too.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
If I were a Watch Mfr, Rep., this would be my choice of case

Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
David,
A very nice set up. First one I have seen that way.
I am going to be down by the NAWCC Museum this weekend. If I have the opportunity I plan on a visit. Hopefully I will get to see some eye candy!

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Have a safe trip, enjoy!

IHC Life Member
South-Bend
Picture of Frank Kusumoto
posted
I understand David's point of view and I respect it. It's arguably completely "correct".

A nice clean RRG movement with a nice dial will usually get a higher price in a signed viewback case than it will in a 14kgf or Nickel case. I do not advocate people destroying original pieces by recasing them.

Posts: 1029 | Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: October 08, 2004
Picture of Jon Harting
posted
David,

Thank you! Now I know what this is that I found at a yard sale 2 or 3 years ago.

Jon

Posts: 228 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: March 04, 2008