Tools
Reply to Post

Minute Repeater, listen to chimes "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi

I thought I would post this up for fun, have been working on this great repeater all day, and was thinking many people may not have heard one, click the link below and should take you to my web site and a
Short video

Remember its a rotten job I do for a living but someone has to do it Big Grin Razz Big Grin

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
Picture of James H. Miller
posted
wow thats cool Chris,may we see what the movement looks like?if you have the time.
james

Posts: 279 | Location: Wheatridge, Colorado in the USA | Registered: January 20, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
I hope I won't embarrass Chris by saying that it is my hitherto unfortunate repeater that Chris is working on. My California watchmaker spent a year restoring it (damaging the dial in the process), and then sent it to a "master" watchmaker friend for further fine tuning. He returned it to me saying that there was nothing he could do to get it to ring time correctly, which he falsely claimed had been a problem when I asked him to perform a COA. He also claimed that the watch had the wrong or a damaged "rack," whatever that is, and that it would never ring properly again.

So I sent it to Chris. Within a day, he had it working properly. He explained that the parts were all fine and that my California watchmaker and his "master" watchmaker friend had just reassembled the watch incorrectly. If only Chris could fix the damaged dial so easily!

Here is a picture of the movement.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
posted
Thank's for the video post Chris. I'd never seen (heard) one before.

Posts: 357 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: April 05, 2008
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Thanks a million Chris, great sound and what a great story!

And what a great and happy ending for Ethan!

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
Cheers to Chris! There aren't many watchmakers around today who are willing (or able) to tackle this kind of work! His great posts with images and movies are in my opinion a terrific contribution here. Nice going!

To Ethan, for this type of repair, trust only an expert such as Chris. Getting minute repeaters to run and function properly is a very delicate craft which requires great care, knowledge and expertise.

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
Ah! The master at work. Big Grin
Chris, you are the best. Smile

I could not make Chris's video work with IE, works fine with Firefox.

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006