Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

I need some advice. "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
I have a Hamilton 925 in a very nice hunter case. I am going to remove the 925 and put in a Hamilton 935 2 tone movement OR a Hamilton 943. I want to put the more valuable movement in it but the Price Guide is little help [in this instance] since it doesn't mention the 2 toned 935 movement. I have never seen another 2 toned 935 so I imagine they are kinda seldom seen. The 1 star 943 is only slightly more valuable than the regular 935 ($275 vs $350)so assuming the 2 tone 935 has an added value due to the 2tone movement I figure the 2 toned 935 and the 943 are petty equal value.

Anyone else have an idea?

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Before you put too fine a point on the value differences, it's important to have a good handle on the condition of the two watches. With a tutone this can vary a lot depending on the condition of the gold plate decoration. If it's bright, sharp and sparkling, it can add a lot. If it's dull, faded or worn off, that's a HUGE condition negative.

It would help a lot if you could post some pictures.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Member 1610
posted
Keep watching Ed I will post pictures shortly.
Thanks,
Harry

Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
Harry,
Just my 2cents, I would put the 943 in the hunter case and try to find a display case for the 935.
Gary

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
IHC Member 1610
posted
Thank you Gary I had not thought of that. I do have a 936 in a display case but I don't remember if the case says Hamilton on it or not. I need to check.

IHC Member 1610
posted
Here are the pictures. I tried to get the best angle to show the best color but I am not very good at photographing watches.

Neither of these watches have been serviced and both are dirty. The first two are of the 935 and the second two are the 943.

IHC Member 1610
posted
935 movement

IHC Member 1610
posted
935 dial

IHC Member 1610
posted
943 movement

IHC Member 1610
posted
Blurry 943 dial

posted
As I see it, the problem with any hunter movement is the inability to see the movement if it's properly cased. You've got to pry open both back covers (wearing the metal every time), using a pocket knife, and then the guts are wide open to dust all the while you're gazing at your pretty movement.

I tend to collect nothing but open-faced watches, and then make my own display cases. Then I can safely carry them, store them, or hang them backwards on the wall - all without ever exposing the movement.

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
IHC Member 1610
posted
Yes I try to avoid hunters also unless it fits my collection.

The 2 tone 935 I got as part of a lot of watches and wristwatches years ago. By the time I got through selling everything I did not want I ended up with this 2 toned 935 and it did not cost me anything. It came mounted in a silveroid open faced case. There is only one set of mounting screw marks and the 935 mounting case screws match exactly. So either this is the original case, or it was recased many years ago into a new old case that had never held a movement before or there was another Hamilton hunter style movement mounted in it before.

Picture of Greg Campbell
posted
Eric...I too like the display cases and have always wondered how putting them in display cases affects the value of the watch. Any thoughts on this?

Posts: 116 | Location: Central Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 29, 2003
posted
I've never gotten wrapped up in the value of a watch, Greg - except to know when I'm paying too much. I like what I like, and I tend to chase eye candy. And I've never felt like I had to collect every variant of every grade of a certain size of a given watch company.

Personally, I don't place a whole lot of emphasis on originality with movement and case combinations. There's simply no way to know or prove if one of my Seths is still billeted in the case that the very first owner picked out. And if it's still in the original case, then that case is probably so worn that I wouldn't want to own it anyway.

Most of my favorite carry watches are in display cases that I've converted myself. If the back is dented, worn, or has someone's else's initials I cut the back out and add a crystal:

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
IHC Member 1338
posted
I judge watches by condition over worth or originality myself, at least for my own collection. I would rather own a really nice case with extra screw marks than an original case in worn condition any day. As Ed said awhile back, a long time ago the owners had the luxury of buying a new case for their worn out one, we no longer have that luxury.
Of course every now and then one stumbles across a really nice original example. I bought one off Andy he had on ebay last week, one of the finest original examples of a 972 I've seen. Ones like these are what i love to find. They cost very little, and are not worth that much, so I put them into my collection. For very little investment I get a 972 that gives me pleasure every time I look at it, simply because of the condition. I like finding those!

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
posted
Agreed, Tom. Condition is 90% of anything I personally collect, and ditto on the exceptional cases with extra screw marks.

Picture of Ken Habeeb
posted
For hard-to-find movements, some of us will accept a recased timepiece if the movement ends up in Coin or SS case. A value-add that offsets, you could say.

kh

Posts: 921 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: March 25, 2013
IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
I keep forgetting to put on my sunglasses whenever Eric posts images of his watches here. Ouch! I forgot again!!

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
Eric & Harry,
I think you should scrap the idea and send me the items.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
IHC Member 1610
posted
Alright Patrick. Keep watching your mailbox for the package.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Donald Trumble
posted
Probably would be wise for Patrick Big Grin to not Eek hold his breath!

Back to the watches, I agree with the consensus, condition is the most important factor.

Don

Posts: 504 | Location: Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: April 02, 2005