Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Time zone hands "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1110
posted
I've seen a lot of railroad watch rules from different railroads, but I don't remember seeing any mention of time zone hands.Were they required by watch inspectors or lines that were near or crossed time zones, or were they used only if the watch owner wanted them?Anyone know who invented them?I've seen pics of them on watches from most of the major U.S. watch companies, although I don't ever remember seeing them on a South Bend.Thanks!, Ted.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
As far as I know these "Dual Hour/Double Hour/Time Zone" hands were an aftermarket accessory used by folks that would be crossing a time zone in the course of their duties. I don't believe they were mandatory by any of the RR's.

They are a one piece hand that uses but one collar for both hands and are generally one hour apart and can be set together or under one another or even say two hours apart as the two hands are friction fitted together. Today they are a nice bonus when we run across them on a particular old pocket or wrist watch. The additional or auxiliary hour hand is usually red or sometimes gold while the main hand is the normal blue or black . They look stunning on some watches and have become $100 + hands today !!

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Member 1110
posted
Thanks again Buster....Ted.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008