Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

QUIZ "Click" to Login or Register 
12-Size Expert
Picture of Robert Schussel
posted
Below is a picture of a movement from a 12 size (Grade 528) 21j Illini--most 21j Illini were 13 size.The 12 size are relatively scarce.

How can you identify a 12 size Illini as compared to a 13 size one if you don't have a ruler or serial number table..

I might add a picked up two 12 size Illini cheap because I knew the difference .

Bob

Posts: 621 | Location: Vallejo, California U.S.A. | Registered: July 10, 2004
posted
gold train

Posts: 292 | Location: Vancouver, Washington, USA | Registered: May 19, 2005
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Bob,

The Megger's book says that no 528's have been seen. Yours is a 538 as it is 21 jewels and a 13 size whereas the 12 size was a 23 jewel. If you want, I can scan the pages referring to these and email them to you. Your watch originally sold for $204.00 in 1923. You could have bought a 23 jewel Sangamo for about $60.00.

Steve

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
posted
the watch pictured is a 12, 528. Most probably wound up in Hamilton's grade 400 but not all.

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
The book says "538" was the grade for 13 size but "Illini" was the grade for 12 size. This has the friction-set jewels in the center, third, and fourth wheel which was consistant with the "Illini" grade. The book also says the "Illini" grade was only available in 23 jewels. So have we found more errors in the book? I know I have come across several so it might just be.

Steve

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
After doing a search of the site I found several other references to the 528 Illini. I have penciled in the correction to my book.

Steve

12-Size Expert
posted
Steve
I own several Illinois 12 size that were unknown/no example reported etc.

The 12 size Illinois 23j grade 299 hunter(no known examples) I own was shown to Meggars shortly before he died. The Ill Gr 435 17j was not thought to exist until I found one on Ebay.

The problem is even worse for Hampden. I own several unique grades.They are now included in the Price Guide.

The problem is that RR watches are King and 12 size watches are not very popular among most collectors.

It is also why I enjoy collecting 12 size as there are still many "real" discoveries to be made--and I don't mean a slightly different damenaskeen pattern or dial.

My only caution is collect 12 size because you like them ,not because you think they are good investments.

Bob

12-Size Expert
posted
I have found that there are two ways to differentate the 12 and 13 size 21 jewel Illini.

Method One-movement
Look at the screw next to the i in Illini.
If the screw is at the very edge of the movement it is 12 size. If it is slighlty further away it is 13 size

Below is a 12 size movement

12-Size Expert
posted
Here is the 13 size movement

12-Size Expert
posted
METHOD TWO

While not a 100% guide many of the 12 size Illini come in a relatively unique case.I have seen one or two Marquis Autocrats in a similar case.So far if it is an Illini movement I have only seen the 12 size version in this case.

I might add I got the watch in my picture for $125 on Ebay because the buyer could not open the case. I took a gamble that it was a 528 in a 14kt case and won.
Bob

posted
Bob - I have seen some information that showed the range of s/n's for 528, 538 and 539 Delong click Illinois watches. It also gave some other specs which included information stating that the 528 used a "solid" gold train (at least polished) and the 538 and 539 do not. That is consistent with the watches that went to Hamilton as all of the Hamilton 400's had a gold (polished) train.