Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Dial Company Question "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
While posting my Elgin Tin information on the "Serial Number Accessory Items Data Base" I noticed that all of the movements had the dials attached before they left the factory.
I didn't know that, and I wondered if you could tell me where they purchased them, or who they purchased them from, and about how many Dial Companies their may have been back then.

Thank you,

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
posted
I believe.... "most" watch manufacturers made their own dials back then, there are exceptions of course.....

I have not seen a list of manufacturers.... but there was O'Hara .......

I want to learn too....

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
The big companies, like Waltham and Elgin, had their own dial departments. I do not know about the others. Any of the big companies could have been contracted to make dials (or any other specialty parts) for the others. For instance, I know that Waltham made stems and sleeves for Keystone.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
posted
To my Knowledge, Keystone Howard put Swiss made dials on most or all of their watches.

Tom

posted
Thanks everyone, another question!

This is another reason I was asking. It's a letter the company has written to a buyer about his watch. They mention that the Dial is not yet in from Switzerland! notice that the case is ready and the movement is almost ready.

So, does anyone know of Swiss Dial Manufacturers?

Sheila

posted
Sheila, Just a guess. The company advertises for both Swiss and American watches. This customer's order could have been for one of their Swiss watches, and he could have ordered a special dial to go with it, ie a dial with an emblem or a runic dial. If this was for an American watch, the company could have used their Swiss supplier for many types of special dials.

Tom

IHC Life Member
South-Bend
Picture of Frank Kusumoto
posted
South Bend made their own dials too. I have heard that many companies had their "fancy" dials made in Switzerland. The type with the overlaid gold gilt and such.

Frank "407" Kusumoto

Posts: 1029 | Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: October 08, 2004
posted
I have seen swiss fancy dials that were made for Hampdens and this one that I think is Swiss but was ordered by Hampden. The ordered dial has the Company name and blessing. The other is not considered original.

Posts: 87 | Location: Home of Hampden Watches, Canton Ohio USA | Registered: January 18, 2004
IHC Life Member
South-Bend
Picture of Frank Kusumoto
posted
Mike,

Yep, that is one sweet dial! That's the type I was referring too. For some reason the Swiss were better at putting on the clear glass for that "extra" shiny yet almost invisible top layer covering the gilt. Wow, that's one sweet dial! Smile

Frank "407" Kusumoto

Posts: 1029 | Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: October 08, 2004
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Let me put on my shades!

Wow Mike, that Hampden dial is just absolutely gorgeous. That's as good as they get my friend, I can't top that! Thanks for raising everyone's understanding of what great watches Hampdens really are.

Frank is right, South-Bend made their dials in-house for the most part and he's also right that some things were better done by others. The one shown below was made in Switzerland. The watch you see it on is one of the rarest and most desirable of all South-Bend watches.

South-Bend RR Grade 328 "The Studebaker" in a heavy 18K Case...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Mike,
Lindell is right that is one gorgeous dial!

The letter above is from the same company that my Centennial Watch Envelope shows.
They did sell American and Swiss watches. They also purchased Howards too. A real mix.

Cross & Beguelin have a lot of Ads out there.
Made me wonder where they got the dials in Switzerland, but since I now know that Howard made dials too, maybe they purchased some from them too, they did buy movements from them!

The plot thickens!

Sheila

posted
Shelia,

Hamilton also had an in house dial department and just as a side note to your thread on chronometers. During the war Hamilton's dial department switched from dial production to the production of gimbaled mahogany boxes for their 85 size marine chronometers. Production of civilian watches were mostly interrupted so the need for dials was reduced.

Rob

Posts: 580 | Location: Kingsport, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: November 26, 2002