• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Hamilton 912 Secometer with Rotating Seconds (And Others!) "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of John J. Flahive III
posted
Recent purchase. This is a Hamilton 12s with a digital rotating seconds. Serial number is 3398475. What I liked about it besides the rotating seconds was the like new condition of the case. The dial has a few age spots, but I was happy to pay $155 for this beauty.

John III

Posts: 1755 | Location: Colorado in the USA | Registered: October 17, 2005
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Case Back

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Cuvet

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Outside Case Markings

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Cuvet Markings

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Bow and Crown area

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Movement

Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Nice watch John!

Smile

Posts: 5259 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
John, I was looking at that thing. I am proud that you have it. Big Grin It is interesting and the price was right. Smile

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Cool watch John!

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
Picture of Mary Ann Scott
posted
That's a neat watch, John. You don't see many with that rotating seconds. I like it! Big Grin

Posts: 1047 | Location: The Colony, Texas in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2008
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Very nice looking watch, John, and the seconds bit is very unusual....Instead of a hand moving on a seconds dial, the entire seconds dial moves against a stationary indicator....very quaint, indeed....

Regards,
Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

These are interesting watches.

Hamilton began producing them in 1929 and sold this "Secometer" dial configuration as both Illinois and Ball-Illinois in addition to Hamilton brand examples. Not long after Waltham introduced their version, all four makes were sold into the early 1930s popular then and fascinating today. South-Bend had a fully digital pocket watch in development at the point when they closed production at the end of 1929 and we believe less than 100 were actually finished.

Below, a page from the 1931 Hamilton "Time Book for Railroad Men" where one of these is promoted Wink as an "Off-Duty" choice in dress pocket watches.

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
I also have the Waltham version. It is also in a Wadsworth case,but it reads Waltham,Wadsworth. It has a rigid bow,and nice artwork on the case. I was trying to get one of each,Waltham,Hamilton,Illinois,Ball,and I even have the Dollar watch version,called the Sentinal Click,by the E. Ingrahm Co. I didn't have any luck finding either the Illinois or the Ball versions. I guess they are pretty rare.

Posts: 475 | Location: Gainesville, Florida in the USA | Registered: January 22, 2009
posted
The back

Posts: 475 | Location: Gainesville, Florida in the USA | Registered: January 22, 2009
posted
The movement

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Nice watches,

I have seen a few of the Illinois ones...... anyone have a picture?

Steve

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Cecil,

Nice Waltham. The area where you read the seconds is, I think, a little easier to read than the Hamilton.

John III

posted
Hey John,

Thanks. I kinda like the Waltham a little more than the Hamilton,plus I have had it for a long time and kinda attached to it a little more than the Hamilton. The Hamilton is worth more,according to the book,but I guess my values don't always follow book values. I think this is the last Hamilton that I have. Seems hard to believe that less than a year ago I had over 30 Hamiltons.

12-Size Expert
Picture of Robert Schussel
posted
For a short period of time Hamilton,Waltham Illinois and Ball offered watches with rotating seconds.

I think one reason that they were only a fad is that they are harder to read .

Below are two pictures of some of these watches. The first is of Illinois and Waltham I own.

Most of the rotating seconds Illinois came in this unusual shaped case. Also what is unusual is the condition of the dial--most show a lot of oxidization.

The Waltham looks brand new except for a small ding on the back of the case.

Posts: 621 | Location: Vallejo, California U.S.A. | Registered: July 10, 2004
12-Size Expert
posted
Back cover of Waltham

12-Size Expert
posted
In original box

IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Here are photos of my Waltham and Hamilton rotating seconds watches. Starting with the Waltham, here is the dial of a circa 1923 21j Colonial-B in 14k.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Movement

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Here is the Hamilton in a Farragut 14k wgf Wadsworth case.

12-Size Expert
posted
Ethan
You always have nice examples.

My experience is that the Hamiltons were most likely to come in a white gold filled Farragut case--I have also seen a few in green gold.

Bob

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Bob/Ethan,

What beautiful examples as usual! Pristine as the day they were made. Gorgeous!

Here is my other Hamilton 912 with rotating seconds. Serial number is 3404437. The dial on this one also has some spots, but the case and movement are nice.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Case Back

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Case Markings:

Wadsworth
Quality
14 Karat Gold Filled

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Movement

IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Nice, unusual case!

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Here is the Ball-Illinois with Secometer or as Ball called it "Rotor Second" dial.

Of the something like 5,000 watches completed as Ball-Illinois apparently only a small number were sold with Secometer style dials because they rarely surface. The one shown below, movement number B402366 is in a seldom seen case design which features the hour numbers enameled onto the bezel rather than the dial.

Ball-Illinois Rotor Second with unique design case...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Lindell's just posted Ball Illinois 12s watch is the only the second example I have seen.