Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Interesting dollar watch "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Stephan Gaal
posted
Hello all,
I didn't set out to collect dollar watches but they keep poping up so I made a small space for a few of the more interesting ones. This one does not appear to be in the price guide so can anyone tell me anything about it. Back is full plate and marked "The E. Ingraham Company Bristol Conn USA" with a number 142 at 90 deg to the above. Simple brass plates with no jewels. A typical dollar watch from the back but the front has been skeletonised and you can see the works. Actually when you think about it these ended up being a good investment. A mint one usually fetches about $40 on ebay. Not bad for an initial outlay of $1. I wonder if you could sell your good watches for 40 times their origional price.
TIA
Steve

Posts: 431 | Location: South Victoria, Australia | Registered: January 18, 2007
Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
A snappy looking watch. I don't collect them either, but I like that one.

Posts: 2002 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Stephan,
I believe your watch is missing the dial. I have never seen one without the dial, like yours. I have one in the box which is a Sentinel travel watch. It has a rotating seconds disk.
I think it is interesting without the dial though.
Brian C.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
Picture of Stephan Gaal
posted
Hello Brian,
Perhaps you are correct and something is missing but to my eye they appear to have gone to a lot of trouble to cut out the pillar plate if it was then going to be covered up. If the pillar plate was never to be seen then wouldn't they have left it solid like the top plate. Can anyone post a picture of a normal pillar plate for one of these watches so we can compare them and see what differences there might be.
TIA
Steve

Picture of Brian C.
posted
Stephan,
Here is a poor scan of a tipical Ingraham. It looks to be the same as yours with the cut-outs.
Brian C.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Here is a poor scan of mine, with the dial.
Brian C.

Picture of Stephan Gaal
posted
I see it all. Looks like I have a few more bits to keep my eye out for. Then again it does look interesting as it is so if I can't find the bits I won't mind to much. Sort of a poor mans salesmans case if you like. Thanks for the information. Steve