posted

Posts: 7178 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2011

posted

IHC Life Member
Picture of Larry Lamphier
posted
Jon,

I don't think so with those circles on the top of the crown.

Regards,
Larry

Posts: 2733 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: February 28, 2010
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Jon,

My first question is why you think that might be a "Hamilton Crown" in the first place.

Then we have the fact that both the Case A and the Case 11 take the same style crown but unfortunately, that one in your pictures is not it. Although the overall size looks about right I agree with Larry that the correct crown for the A and 11 does not have those concentric circles shown on the top of your crown. There are similar crowns on several Hamilton and for that matter Illinois factory cases but I do not see that very particular concentric circle design on any of them. That would make me think your crown might likely be for an after-market case of some sort.

Begin with checking various Keystone case and branching out from there.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002

posted
Lindell,

There are two (2) of these specific crowns housed in those little white hamilton envelopes. So, far all the crowns from this container have been identified to either a hamilton wrist watch or pocket watch case.

After trying to compare this crown w/ a Model 11, they looked pretty darn close. However, the top portion of the Model 11 crown I was using for comparison purposes does have some wear and I could not reach a positive match.

Thanks for the help

Smile

Also, all the measurements are right in line for an A or 11 case:

It has a 3 size tap and the spec's are 9.60mm head Dia, 5.50mm inside Dia.,5.00mm height Dia.,2.20mm pipe Dia., 6.60mm shoulder Dia.

posted
Let the rubber hit the road - removed the old crown, and conducted a side by side comparison...

Here is a picture of the old crown from a Model 11 (top) to compare to the Hamilton Replacement Crown (bottom).

Note the inside of the crown is the same for both crowns. All the same measurements, too

posted
Mighty nice fit Wink

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Those may well be replacements, they will likely fit a lot of different style Keystone cases but they would not be authentic on either the Case A or Case 11 as there were no concentric circles on those original production crowns.

These are interesting items, but not of correct or original design.

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
Jon, notice the bottom of the crown, and also the fit of it where it meets the pendent on the frame. If you look close you can see where the fit is not really as good.

Nice replacement if one doesn't have the right one though.

Regards,
Larry

Posts: 2733 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: February 28, 2010

posted
The crown may not be authentic because of an extra circle on the top, but I have no reason at this time to believe it was not made as replacement for an A or 11 case. And a much better replacement part - than say one of those cheesy repo dials that sticks out like a sore thumb, especially on a high jewel watch.

Also, would be interested to see another Keystone Case that used a similar crown to the one posted because I have not found one. Until that time, the facts (measurements, style, etc) pt to this crown being purchased as a replacement for A or 11 case and that would explain why it was with the other 200+ neatly organized parts for Hamilton watches...

Wink

IHC Life Member
posted
Some good points Jon, and if that's all we have to keep these watches together and running, it sure beats scrapping them. Including the high jewel Railroad watches.

Regards,
Larry

posted
Your right Larry, it gets harder and harder to keep the ones that need parts going. It is easy to cherry pick and take the good ones, but what happens to the the rest that need a part? Especially the hard to find parts, that are no longer around...

Smile

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
For those of us that 'carry' on a regular basis, I'd be perfectly happy with this replacement crown if one were required on one of my 992B's. Smile

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002