Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

1927 Elgin. "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
E-bay 170621175686
I have just purchased a brilliant pocket watch from a chap in japan. I think it's a model 478 and no kidding, it has been running constantly now for 13 full days and is only 3-4 seconds out!. My question is: When do I know if it needs a clean and service?, and can I presume that because it is running so beautifully it's ok to leave alone?.
Thanks from the UK.
Steve.

Posts: 189 | Location: Kent in the United Kingdom | Registered: May 27, 2010
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
When your watch requires service it will let you know. Generally it will gain time but not always, sometimes it will lose time.

A mechanical watch that is run on a daily basis should be COA'd at a minimum of every 3 years. Even today's miracle synthetic oils will become contaminated with dust and airborne particles and will break down it's lubrication benefits. Extreme cold and heat will also break down it's viscosity much like in your automobiles engine. And after all it is nothing more than a small engine that demands regular serviceing to keep parts from premature wear. Lubricants also evaporate over time as well as get "used up".

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
posted
Thanks Buster, wise words indeed. I have never tackled a complex watch like this one, so I will use it for a while while continuing to learn a bit more.
Thanks ......Steve.

Posts: 189 | Location: Kent in the United Kingdom | Registered: May 27, 2010
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Stephen, you have a very nice B W Raymond grade 478 and they are very good time keepers....

Yours was made in a run of 4000 in 1927 and is housed in a #38 RailRoad Case and I suspect it to be an original makeup....

The Grade 478 was one of Elgin's largest Railroad Watch sellers and was made from 1922 through 1943 with a total production of 185400....

You did well with this one, congratulations on your excellent find....

Regards,

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
posted
I have found some of the better watches are sometimes easier to service than the cheaper ones. Elgin has a special place in my heart and I would much rather take apart one of these or a Father Time than a 15-17 jewel common movement. They just seem to go back together much easier.

Posts: 1143 | Location: Chicago, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 05, 2010
IHC Member 1508
posted
Stephen, my rule of thumb after I've purchased a watch, is to have a complete COA done on it. Lord knows what that watch has been through, or how many years (or decades) have passed since it was last serviced. And if there is any dirt in there, running it could ruin it. This way, I KNOW. Regards, Brad

Posts: 956 | Location: Wenatchee, Washington in the USA | Registered: December 14, 2010
IHC Life Member
Picture of Larry Lamphier
posted
I agree Brad. I have had people tell me that if it is running and keeping good time "why mess with it"! Frown

If you don't clean it, and oil it, you have no way of knowing what is in there doing damage while it is running, or you are winding it and setting it.

Regards,
Larry

Posts: 2733 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: February 28, 2010