Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

AT&Co stop works barrel "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Can anyone explain to me what "stop works" is and what it does?
Thanks
Ed

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
posted
function was to prevent overwinding of a watch. Try doing a search on this forum for "stop works" and you'll get to see several.

Posts: 292 | Location: Vancouver, Washington, USA | Registered: May 19, 2005
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

As Michael pointed out, there is quite a bit of information to this subject.

If anyone is uncertain as to the "Find-or-Search" feature, blue tabs appear at the top every topic and forum as well as the Discussion Site Main Page. Click on the "Find-or-Search" tab and then a drop down appears. A blank line appears for you to fill in the keyword you are looking for. Then hit the "GO" button and you will see a list of the various topics relating to your key word.

By typing in "Stop Works" on the main page, there are 57 matches for this subject.

Click here: Stop Works

Hope this helps,

Debbie

Smile

Posts: 5231 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I am compelled by my own work with Geneva Mechanisms to add that the "stop works" that is designed to limit the isochronism effects of the mainspring at BOTH ENDS of the winding cycle is actually an abberration of the Geneva drives (That I have designed into things many many times) that were meant to "cycle" a mechanism VERY accurately and especially to CONTROL THE ACCELLERATION/DECELLERATION of the motions involved. The range of uses goes from watch and clockworks to 20 MM gatling Guns and every possible thing in between. I employed them in machinery to manufacture things very fast and accurately such as 5.56 MM Cartridges @ 18/second (E.W.Bliss Co., Gulf & Western), Tape Cassette Record/Erase Heads @ 10,000/day (Nortronics Co.), etc., etc.

You can see a good action flick of this type mechanism at;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maltese_Cross_mechanism

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Thanks you all for the lesson.

Can you tell if a pw has a stop works by looking at the movement or does the barrel have to be disassembled?

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Ed, I have only seen external stopworks on the Howards. The Elgins and Hampdens have it buried under the barrel cover, and (sadly Mad) the "watchmakers" of the period threw out the works parts rather than re-assemble them correctly to the watches, so they are very rarely found "complete" in those watches where they are "hidden". You can only see the machining details of where they should have been.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Edward, generally if a watch has 'Stop work' fitted, the winder will 'stop' solid when fully wound as the 'pip' locks into the maltese cross, instead of the usual 'springy' feel - that is, unless the 'pip' has broken off at the barrel arbor, when it will have the same feel as a standard winder.

This was a very common device fitted to higher end Swiss movements, both Cylinder and Lever types.
Usually the device isn't visble on these though unless the dial is removed.

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
John,
Thank you for the tip.

David,
I read something to the effect the watchmakers did not reassemble the stop works when working on a watch. This goes against what I have learned about what type of person it takes to be a watchmaker. Do you know what their reasons were?

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I think these were of the same "ilk" that tossed out the dust rings and replaced broken jewels with brass friction bushings. Basically sloppy, lazy, and careless people who could usually clean a watch and maybe get it back to running again.

The extremely competitive market for watches was (unfortunately) a little "lax" on the quality of service supplied by the seller-watchmaker's. That helps explain the necessity of "certifying" the RR watch inspector/repair people.