Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Just like Ed Parsons' Hamilton Quiz "Click" to Login or Register 
Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
Here is a 992b I just acquired. I need you guys and gals to shoot it down. Go ahead, you can't hurt my feelings and the watch could care less. Big Grin

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
posted
bezel off. Really hard to see how sharp the double sunk dial is.

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
posted

Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
posted

Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
posted
Let me know. Smile

posted
Phil:

Your watch and case are beautiful...no knockdown here!

Just one question:
Did you notice the short minute hand...could it have been broken off?

Regardless! The timepiece is worth owning!

Posts: 391 | Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: April 20, 2006
Picture of Gary Morgret
posted
Hi Phil
I see a lot of the lettering and serial number looks washed out. Does this mean the movement has been cleaned many times or in the wrong solution?
Is the seconds hand wrong?

Gary

Posts: 141 | Location: Northwest Ohio in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2003
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Here are a few more items...

Looks like a LaRose replacement dial.

Bow is apparently loose and it's stretched as well.

Crown shows considerable wear, that watch was wound a lot!

Movement looks clean and is probably a good runner. One more observation,
if it is 439494 from about 1956 that "R-Prefix" Case 16 may well be the original one.

Compare LaRose dial on top with melamine below...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...no such thing as a bad '992B' Smile...but I would change/shorten the seconds hand...

Posts: 872 | Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 16, 2003
Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks, Guys. I will replace the minute and second hand. The la rosa dial is too nice to mess with. Sammie has just cleaned and timed the watch, it is running with good rhythum and keeping very accurate time. And as Jim so aptly observed,, "There is no such thing as a bad 992b" Smile

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Aha!

Well, I said... "looks clean and is probably a good runner" ...Samie did a nice job as always. Cool

The LaRose dial is great for a carry watch, that way a valuable dial is not at risk. Ironically, LaRose dials are becoming difficult to find these days. One way to spot a LaRose dial, in addition to their slightly different characteristics shown in the image I provided in the earlier post, they are much brighter than melamine.

About the seconds hand. The reason that one is slightly longer that it should be is the original dial on that watch would have been the "HG" or "Heavy Gothic" style which has a larger diameter seconds register. Changing to the shorter hand intended for the Numerical Dial would make it correct length.

Great topic Phil, thanks for letting us have some fun with your watch. Big Grin

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002