• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham for Hatch "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
This watach is marked No. 1047. Made expressly for I. Q. Hatch & Co. Waltham Watch Co. The serial number indicates a 1908 date. It is 21J, 5 positions. Center wheel looks to be gold, I am not sure about the raised settings. Is this a Vanguard or a Crescent St. Jerry Treiman seems to have some knowledge of Hatch.

Posts: 767 | Location: Los Osos, California USA | Registered: December 12, 2002
posted
Hatch movement.

IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
Jerry,
If I'm reading the S/N correctly (17,052,257) the Waltham S/N books justs lists this run as "Assorted Specials".
That's not much help and Kent & I do not have any other examples recorded in our database.

Ed Ueberall
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Jerry - the winding wheels and finish look like that of a Crescent St. grade. I do not really know much yet about Hatch except that several of his special ordered movements appear in these "Assorted Specials" runs. This particular run of 1,000 movements includes primarily the "Patrician" label (10-ligne to Colonial Series) amongst the first 500 with several Tiffany & Co. movements thrown in. Yours is the first Hatch movement I have seen from this run, as well as the first example from the second half of the run. Hatch movements also appear in three later groups of specials and include this grade as well as a 17j model.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
posted
Well Ed, I guess you now have a new entry for your data base.

Jerry: There is one entry for Hatch in the Ehrhardt/Meggers book with the gold cover. See page 301. I wonder if this could be a Riverside model.

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
This entry in "the little golden book" is probably referring to the same watch that is illustrated on page 87 of the Encyclopedia, Vol.1. I believe that both this one and yours are Crescent St. grade for a couple of reasons. It has 21 jewels and it was only much later that some Riversides had 21j. Also, the pattern on the winding wheels is typical of the Crescent St. grade rather than the Riverside grade.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003