Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Case Hallmark "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Has anyone seen this 14k hallmark? It's on a 16s case. It appears to be cast with the case but not sure. I don't have the watch in hand. Do you think it's solid gold?

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

John,

If memory serves, those are "American Watch Case Company" markings. Although a Maltese Cross by itself often means lower quality Gold-Filled, I see the markings are raised outline rather than stamped. That method of imprint, looking as if it were cast, usually indicates a solid-gold case.

Looks like gold to me, but other information and additional images would be helpful.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
I have seen these on solid gold Canadian cases.

Jeff Hess

Posts: 764 | Location: Saint Petersburg, Florida USA | Registered: June 26, 2003
IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Thanks Lin & Jeff!

This is a Canadian watch so I have a better feeling about the case now.

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
The maltese cross is used on cases by the American Watch Case Co. (A.W.C.Co.) of Toronto, Canada. You will often see it stamped into the original bow, as well.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003