Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham 1888 mdl question "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Does anyone know why the Waltham 16s 1888 model movement was not made in RR grade?
The movement was made in OF, 17,19,21 jewels. Apparently the movement could not meet any or all of the other requirements.
Does anyone have any information on this subject?
Thanks

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
There is no doubt (in my mind) that many Waltham 1888 models were RR capable. I recently posted this Pendant setting 1894 vintage non-magnetic 17 Jewel Waltham model 1888 which would easily pass RR standards until at least 1908 when the lever set rule was put in place.

This beauty is a signed "non-magnetic" movment that was made with a non-magnetic balance spring (what looks like) Beryllium Copper or hard brass pallet fork, Hanging Motor Barrel, 5 Position adjustments, a steel escape wheel and the patent micro-regulator.

When I cleaned this it was so fine and spotless that I re-poised the balance wheel and added the fine adjustments to assure it is within 30 sec/week.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
and the whole watch presents very well for a 114 year "old-timer".

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
David,
That is a beautiful 88. I know they are fine movements, but I wondered why they were not made for RR service.
It appears the vast majority were made in 15j or lower. Why did Waltham regulate such a fine movement to it's lower priced watches?

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
The design of the 1888 model which was an upgraded model 72 movement was one of the more actually expensive watches in Waltham's line.

The DOUBLE ROLLER 17 Jewel Riverside I picture above was selling for $30.00 whole uncased when the Model 1883 P.S. Bartlett 17 Jewel RR adjusted was selling for $22.88.

Later, the much costlier, but not particularly better SINGLE ROLLER Model 1892 "845" purpose built "high end" 18s RR model was $36.00.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Ed, a little later Waltham produced some Gold Plated watches that were probably more of an effor to sell off these inventory after the model 1899 caome out. But I am sure this was not a "cheap" movement either. I look forward to the special day when I can restore this.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
The engraving of "J F Brady" on this beauty reminds me of two people with that name who would deserve this watch, the first being a dear old lifetime (but now passed) friend, and the other the infamous "Diamond Jim" Brady!

Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Now that one I realy like! That is the first gold plated damaskeening I have seen.
I believe that Waltham would fit Diamond Jim's personality!

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Ed while I can no longer trade my firstborn for a 19 or 21 Jewel "American" signed 1888 model(because at 48 years old, she would not agree to that), I am very happy to acknowledge that both the non-magnetic, and the Gold Plated are equally as rare anyway, and a lot of fun collecting for their special treatment.

The point is, however that these were higher end Waltham's, and I have absolutely no doubt they were used on the Railroads.