• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Aargh. ( 992B Subject Melamine Dials ) "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Sorry, but I think that I am finally figuring this out. Again, thanks for your patience.

Posts: 257 | Location: Worthington, Ohio in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2005
Picture of Tom McIntyre
posted
Edward, when you are on a single topic, you might prefer to use the "Reply to Post" link in the lower right corner of the message rather than post a new topic. Smile

Posts: 633 | Location: Boston, Massachusetts USA | Registered: November 25, 2002
Picture of Robert M. Sweet
posted
Edward,
Welcome to Chapter 185. Your watch, as you thought, was made in 1950. It appears your movement is housed in a Hamilton model #15 factory case. The #15 case was introduced in 1950 and was used until about 1969-70.

The dial on your watch is a “Heavy Gothic”, Single Sunk, #168, Melamine dial.

The condition of your dial is typical of the Melamine dial. Very few remain in good condition. Hamilton started using Melamine as a replacement for “enamel” in 1946.

The 992B was formally introduced in the #11 case in November 1940 and continued until Hamilton stopped producing railroad watches about 1970.

Below is an (excerpt) from a Hamilton (1950-51) Catalog with the # 15 case and 3 different dials.

Posts: 553 | Location: Southwest Virginia U.S.A. | Registered: December 27, 2004
posted
With respect to my post above, it has come to my attention, that the "actual" start date for using "Melamine" on the RR dials is believed to be in the 1949-50 time frame.

If anyone has knowledge of a "boxed" 992B in the 1946-48 time frame with a known original Melamine dial, please post.

Robert

Posts: 553 | Location: Southwest Virginia U.S.A. | Registered: December 27, 2004
posted
I will look thru archives tonite for a label...

quote:

Don Dahlberg
Registered
Posted February 12, 2005 11:40
I have been asked many times on this board and at the Library "When did Hamiliton introduce melamine dials?"

Friday I was reading a series of "Minutes of Materials Committe Meetings" from 1945-47. References to melamine dials starting to appear in 1946.

This from 6-20-46
"Melamine enamel dials. Mr. Vermot commented favorably upon the appearnce of 16 size Melamine enamel dials he had seen. Mr. Shubrooks stated that development work on the Melamine enamel dial project was still underway and that consequently present production cost were still higher than they would eventually be. Mr. Shubrooks indicated that a progress report on recent activities in the Melamine dial project wold be available soon in the Library."

Melamine dials were discussed in each of the montly meetings. They had to solve some problems with the quality of the transfer of numbering (the 5 and 7 did not look right) and bring the costs down. There was a Joint conference on the Melamine Enamel Dial on 10/10/46 This reported on the results of the first large experimental lot. They figured they would save $1.16 per dial. The Sales department had put in an order for 2000 dials. They were in the process of producing machinery for mass production. It was figured that they would need to produce 4000 per month. Of interest to us is the statement:

"Mr. R. B. Hershey raised a question regarding discoloration and deterioration of the enamel. It was explained that while the material was comparatively new (1939) it had served well in other applications. The results of laboratory tests for color fastness and deterioration were briefly sketched in answer to this question."

They discussed reasons for some of the dial rejects during production and how to increase the yield of dials passing inspection. They also discussed the need for a red paint on some of the dials and the supply of brass for the backs of the dials. The new drawing for the #50-121 (what we call the #121) dial would be finished Thursday. I have a copy of a later version of that dial. The first date on the drawing is 10/17/46.

In late 1946 the melamine dial is a go.

Don
Posts: 866 | Location: Campbelltown, PA, USA | Registered: September 01, 2000

posted
It will be appreciated.

Robert

posted
here is the earliest serial number label image that can without a doubt be described as a melamine dial #168...

it is the top box...

i have some earlier serialed labels, but the dials can be argumented... MHG??

I have bought a few watches from the 46-47 era that have melamine dials.... #151, #121.. they were on watches that did not seem to be swapped out... model 14 cases, model 3 tu tone cases...

thanks to jim haney for the initial image....

posted
Terry,

Thanks. The C198526/K305673 was discussed a few days ago in another topic. Jim posted an image of the #11 case with a Masonic Lodge emblem engraved on back with a "1951" date.

The movement dates to 1947 and case to abt. 1950 according to some #11 numbers I have. (This watch have box and label and can not disputed.)

The information below (from Don) lead me to believe that Melamine dials were used on RR watches as early as 1946-47.

What say you!

Robert

quote:
This is the earliest reference to a Melamine dial that I have seen.

Sept 1st about this date Melamine dials - 16 size - on RR Models- Brass Blank is used, on which is sprayed this solution - put thru a baking process and when completed the numerals, red or black as the case may be, are transferred on the dial. #121 and 151 were originally made of this new material.

Sept 23rd - MHG Dial - Melamine Heavy Gothic - used on RR Model - taken from Sales Sheets.

So late 46 and early 47 is when melamine dials got going. I have been asked this question many times and did not have an authoritative answer until today.

Sept 29, Model #9 yellow 10K RR, 992B (I already typed this record in another thread.

May 25 - Dial #168, 16 size MHG SS On dial between 12 and center post
Hamilton
Railway Special
same as #080 dial, except the name Railway Special. [MHG means melamine heavy gothic]

posted
Well, the internal memo also leads creadance to the earlier date...

I have been pretty well satisfied with the earlier dating of this dial... despite the opinion of some other respected authorities... Eek

I hope at some point to speak at length ... mainly to attempt them to come on these boards and see the evidence from various sources.... and of course welcome their contributions to the discussion.......

posted
Robert,
I have seen a picture of a box and watch, SN C192820, and documented the information they provided. Can't remember where I saw it, could have been here, or elsewhere. This combination featured a 121 dial according to the picture (pretty easy to distinguish the melamine 121 from the porcelain 536), and was marked MHG on the box. This combo as you know dates to approximately 1947. By SN it is just a tad earlier than Terry's and along with Terry's certainly illustrates that the melamine was beginning to be used in that time period.

Edit: I've also documented C214723 whose box shows MHG for the dial.

HTH,

Tref

Posts: 348 | Location: Northwest Washington USA | Registered: June 23, 2005
posted
not boxed... so argue...

posted
boxed... and still argue... looks like the victim of a dial swap to me..

posted
Tref,
I strongly believe the Melamine dial made its first appearance in late 1946 or early 1947, but it will be better to find more convincing evidence so there will be a consensus.

The "MHG" Melamine Heavy Gothic label Terry posted above dates to 1947.

Robert

posted
Terry,

What is that dial of your 17:13 post. I have a loose one..just like it...

Posts: 638 | Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin USA | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
john,

that is "variant" 151 dial...

most seen are NOT marked RWS, only Hamilton...

this is not mine, but a captured image...

condition on yours?

have a use for it?

posted
Terry,

I haven't looked at it for awhile and after finding it, mine is only marked Hamilton..If interested condition is "mint" compared to the pictured one.. but really it has no cracks, one very small scratch at the 55 minute mark, and of course that "dull" white color..No use for it, do you??

Posts: 638 | Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin USA | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
not bad to have around....

posted
If you two don't make a deal, and you are not attached to it John I might be interested in it.

Thanks,

Tref

Posts: 348 | Location: Northwest Washington USA | Registered: June 23, 2005
posted
I know the 1946 letter out of research and devolvement on the Melamine dial is what everyone is basing their "THINKING" on.

I KNOW they ran some dials in the fall of 46 and spring of 47.

My thinking is that these dials did not reach full (I mean placed on every 992B) production until 49 or 50.

Unless we can PROVE this, I am making a viable point and I hate to make the statement that MELAMINE dials were used on all of the 992B production watch from 46 on.

I think they were slow to catch on and were not fully supported by the Hamilton management, however when they ran out of porcelain dials then melamine was the name of the game.

I want to see some factory ledgers to compare with actual box end labels to see if the actual time line is correct.

What shows up as a 47,48,49 or 50 production date may have been off by a few years. They were adjusting to coming out of the war and getting their house in order.

Show me some boxed examples of a Melamine dial.
This will help us clear up this question

posted
jim

I agree that they ran these in this time frame... and i also doubt Hamilton had 'full coverage' until a much later time....

It is very uncommon to find a boxed watch from this time frame....
i have an image of C160180 and it has an 080 dial... which is not melamine

next one is the image i posted above with the obiously HG dial that is not melamine... the next few examples i have images of have the same MHG marking....

your example i posted above seems to have the earliest serial number for the dial number marking that we relate to the melamines...

alas, the ledgers do not seem to exist for this time frame.... the watches will have to tell the story... if we can see them before they are broken up for parts.....

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

I have been reading this with interest and considering what has been posted from an evidentiary perspective.

What I see in the factory documentation and wading through the language can be summed up as follows...

Late 1946 is when the decision about converting dial production to (shudder) melamine was made. Drawings were produced and experiments with the new material began.

This does not suggest that watches were actually shipped to consumers with melamine dials at that late 1946 time-time.

When I read the 1953 article the implication confirms that in September of 1946 the decision was indeed made on converting to melamine and that influenced all new dials introduced since that time.

This still does not suggest that watches were shipped with melamine dials at that 1946-47 time-frame.

Like Jim, I want to see evidence and that evidence is the label that indicates movement C198526 left Hamilton with a melamine dial. We know that movement is attributed to very late 1947 production. Based upon that it might then be reasonable to conclude they had begun to deliver watches with melamine dials by 1948 when such a movement number would have logically hit the distribution cycle.

From that it looks to me like melamine dials were probably phased in beginning with the 1948 time frame. We must understand that once a decision was made the product was very gradually phased into actual distribution. It was a very gradual process in those days and I'd bet there were probably still some styles of porcelain-enamel dials being used in production along with melamine at that time.

You guys are doing a great job in piecing together the record. I and many others are grateful. Wink

(Parenthetical note: The catalog page that Robert posted cannot be a 1950-51 catalog because it bears a 1951 Hamilton Watch Company Copyright. That same catalog page was reproduced and published in a watch book erroneously attributed to 1949 which we now know from the 1951 copyright that 1949 date was incorrect. That confirms they were showing melamine dials on 992B movements by the 1951 calendar year.)

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
quote:
Sept 23rd - MHG Dial - Melamine Heavy Gothic - used on RR Model - taken from Sales Sheets.

this is from what Don posted... with dating of 1947....

i wonder if the 2000 dials ordered by the sales department in late 46 became hockey pucks...

the serial on the 151 dial posted above is c172898, but not boxed ... so anything goes....

One point.......

Much of what we discuss and throw back and forth is based on the Listed serial number vs date tables........ What if they are wrong? Eek Or at least if the serial number breaks are 'off'? WWII had to play into this....

posted
With all of this detailed information being passed back and forth, I almost feel silly asking my next question. Is it normal or otherwise ok to carry these watches around every day? Is that what most people do, or do they all just get put away and looked at from time to time? And to bring it all home, will carrying it around do any more damage to the melamine face, or will it not do any more damage to it?
Thanks again for all of the info!

Posts: 257 | Location: Worthington, Ohio in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2005
posted
Edward,
The link below in an interesting topic about "carry watches".

Robert

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1...761/m/7836094242/p/1

posted
Edward,
What is the saying? TOO MUCH INFORMATION !

We didn't mean to hijack your topic, but good things come out of open discussion.

I was surprised to learn that 1946 was the date being offered to new members inquiring about melamine dials.

The PLANS were drawn up in 1946 and it can all be summed up by Robert's post from the July 1953 issue of Timely Topics.

By 1953 all the dial were Melamine. This was a gradual process that took years to accomplish.

From 1947 until 1951 Hamilton was producing about 35,000 992B per year. If they ordered 2000 new Melamine dial in 1946 to begin this process it would have only affected 7% of the 1947 watches.

This was a natural progression until they reached 100% in 1953 as the article states.

I have visions of Newbies switching their late 40's 992B's back to Melamine dial to be correct!

We have to be careful on the information we generate because if someone READS it becomes FACT.

posted
Lindell,

quote:
(Parenthetical note: The catalog page that Robert posted cannot be a 1950-51 catalog because it bears a 1951 Hamilton Watch Company Copyright. That same catalog page was reproduced and published in a watch book erroneously attributed to 1949 which we now know from the 1951 copyright that 1949 date was incorrect. That confirms they were showing melamine dials on 992B movements by the 1951 calendar year.)

According to the information below, the #15 with #168, #121, #151 Melamine dials was being sold prior to the Hamilton (1951) Catalog, i.e. June 5, 1950.

As you mentioned above, the #15 could not have been in the 1949 catalog since it was not introduced until a year later in mid-1950.

Robert

"1950
June 5, 1950 992b Ry Spec. Steel #15 with dials #121, 168 and 151
Brush Back - Bright Polish fancy back and bezel
Case construction of type #302
Non-magnetic 18.8 Stainless Steel-
An ideal material that assures years of dependable service. Styled for smart appearance as well as rugged usage.
Code 871031 Letter 6/2/50
6/2-5/1950 shipped about 315 watches

posted
Jim,
Actually I'm quite tickled that my first little foray into the world o' watches has elicited such a response. It's actually very cool to realize that there are people out there who are not only much more knowledgeable about these things, but also willing to share that knowledge. Plus, the more that I get involved, the more questions that I come up with. Thanks again for all of the input. Smile