Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Stuck screw issues "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
Can someone show me the link to the post on removing stuck screws. I know I read somewher a while back about mixing something that will attack the metal screw but leave the brass alone but I can't find it.

I have two Illinois that bothe have stuck screws holding down a broken micro regulator spring. I have been soaking them in Silly Kroil for over a week and they still will not budge.

Thanks,
Harry

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
posted
Harry, here are a couple links to using alum:

link1

link2

Bob

Posts: 346 | Location: Woodland Hills, California in the USA | Registered: January 07, 2011
IHC Member 1610
posted
Bob thanks a million. The first link is the one I read. You know you read something just to learn something even though you don't need to use it, then months later when you do need to use the information you can't remember it and you can't find it.

Getting old *****!

Thanks again,
Bob

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
This is the first I've seen about using alum. I'll certainly tuck this away for future reference.
Thanks guys.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Harry, in your particular situation, I would address two other options first;

1. The Near Glass-Hard steel of the spring is pierced where the stuck screw is holding it down. It may just "split off" at the screw by applying some leverage to the broken spring with a small needle nose with the tips near the screw hole. Then you should be able to remove the screw by loosening it back and forth until it unscrews.

2. If that does not work the screw will punch out with a small driver. Some staking sets go that small, and then you could make one with a broken drill. After punching out the screw, the hole will often still hold another screw adequately to hold down the replacement regulator spring.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 1610
posted
Thank you David I like the breaking the spring idea. I will try that first. I don't know if I have a punch that small or experience to try the punch idea.
Thanks.

IHC Member 1610
posted
David my friend your a genius! I hope you read this your plan of bending the broken spring until it broke worked like a charm. I decided to try your suggestion after a trip to the store came up empty on the alum.

Thank you!

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Wink

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
I found out about a decade ago about the alum, but I had never used it till a couple years ago.

I had a gold filled crown with a stem broke off at thread level. After about a week in the alum, the broke stem completely "P-O-O-F-E-D" itself and dissolved away with no damage to the threaded crowns threads nor anything else Big Grin

It almost defies the imagination that it works because it certainly isn't logical Eek

Also for anyone interested, the only place I found the alum was at the local grocery store in the alphabetically listed "spice" rack section aisle Wink

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Member 1610
posted
The largest grocery store chain in our area is Publix. I checked them and even got a manager to help look in the spices and they did not sale it.

I will check a few other grocery stores when I get a chance.

posted
Today the grocery stores like to sell pickles and not the ingredients to make them 'self.
Another source to get alum are the deodorant-stones or crystal deodorants (buy one - not take the wife's Wink)

Regards
Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
IHC Member 1725
posted
Hi Harry,

I find it odd that Publix does not carry Alum since they are a large food chain. When my mom and grandmom used to can a lot they used a teaspoon of Alum to can their pickles in each quart. They said it made them crisper.

You should be able to find it in the spice aisle or you may want to try the canning supply section.

My best regards!
Tim

Posts: 376 | Location: Conover, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: July 07, 2012
IHC Member 1610
posted
We looked in the spices in the spice department and the spices in the produce department. I'm afraid the big chain grocery store are getting like Home Depot and Lowe's. They only stock the fast moving products. They could care less if you need the slow moving items.

I have an old fashion feed and seed store and an old fashion hardware store nearby. I will see if either sale canning supplies.

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Bought mine at Harris Teeter (grocery chain in NC)today.
It ain't cheap. $4.19 for a small little jar.

Got a crown soaking with a rusted stem end stuck in it. We'll see how it goes.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
IHC Member 1610
posted
I found mine at some grocery store. I haven't tried it on a crown yet but I'm sure it is just a matter of time.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
Auto parts stores sell several varieties of spray on loosener material. Most work pretty good. I have used it on head bolts and it worked great.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Amazon has the McCormick brand of alum......

Alum at Amazon

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008