Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Found in a Rotograph! "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
I found a small Maiden Lane Rotograph on ebay, which I got today, and while searching it with a loupe I was so thrilled and shocked to find the sign on the building to the right that says,

Seth Thomas Clock Company!!!

Who Hoo! The picture is really small and I can't enlarge it without losing the details, but it IS a really good picture when using a loupe.

You can see the faces on the people real clear and there are a couple of clocks on this street too. I'm going to post it, but I'm not sure you will be able to see it very well.

166 or 66 Maiden Lane.

Anyone know the Seth Thomas Clock Co. Address on Maiden Lane in 1905?

Sheila

M Lane Roto

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
IHC Member 638
posted
Sheila,
Very nice Rotograph!! Just think, that was a little over 100yrs ago and how things have changed exept our interest in watches and clocks.
Thanks for posting. Smile

Posts: 166 | Location: Northeastern Ohio USA | Registered: July 21, 2005
IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
Things sure have changed! I was in NYC over the Holidays and walked Maiden Lane from one end to the other. I did not see any watch related businesses there except for one local jewelry store. Even the gold lettered upper story windows seemed to indicate a wide range of commerce, but none watch (or clock) related that I could see.

Ed Ueberall
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Michael,
Thank you, I like it, and my interest in watches keeps getting bigger and bigger.

Ed,
I could just cry when I see what has happened to the streets that should have some reminders of what it used to be, left on it.
I know that since they started the renovations of the area around Maiden Lane, that they have had many fights over the historical value of the street, and the history of the street, but so far "Progress" seems to be winning.
It's sad, but I'm glad that we can still capture some of what it was, and I plan on keeping at it with pictures and stuff along with my collection so that my daughter will have it for the future to pass on.

Maybe our Great Grandchildren will pass on what they have from us.

The way they are tossing out information at the archives, and patent office, we may be all that is left to put the pieces together.

All in all, today we have to be content to just walk the street and dream I guess. Hope you enjoyed the walk!

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
Picture of Tom McIntyre
posted
I may have posted this before, but I think this picture of the factory is roughly contemporary with your image. If you click to enlarge it, you can almost recognize faces if you know them.Wink

Posts: 633 | Location: Boston, Massachusetts USA | Registered: November 25, 2002