WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Greetings from Australia, Question about my Waltham "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi, I'm a new member and new to this passime. I've always loved watches and recently bought a few old pocket watches to 'play with'. I've stripped and cleaned a few with varying success, but I'm learning and I'm hooked.
I just bought this: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?na...view&id=300935174693

It was supposed to be a Size 16, but the Walthum site says its a 17s Equity.
it still runs well but I would like to put it in a case.
What are my options as hunter cases seem rare and 17 s even harder to find.
Can I fit it into any other type case? I'm not looking for the world, just a case that I can use to wind, set, and display it now that I've cleaned it got it working after my efforts.
Does anybody have one or know where I can get one?

Posts: 35 | Location: Victoria in Australia | Registered: July 30, 2013
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Paul,
Welcome to the forum. Interesting watch you have there. From what I can find this is a 17s, not a 16. I'm not sure what case might fit this one.
But it is one of fairly low production numbers.
Will be interested to hear from others here who are far more enlightened.
Grade: No. 611
Movement Serial Number:19855403
Estimated Production Year: 1914
Run Quantity: 7000 Total production 17,700
Size: 17s
Jewels: 15j
Movement Configuration: Hunting
Movement Finish: Unknown
Model: ?
Movement Setting: Pendant
Plate: Unknown Plate
Adjusted: No
Railroad Grade: No

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
Paul, a 17s case came up in my alerts on ebay this morning.

Search this: RARE SIZE 17 POCKET WATCH CASE 14K GOLD FILLED and it should come up.

Ask if you can return it just in case it is not an actual 17s.

The pocket watch data base designates it as a grade No. 611 as well

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
posted
Thanks, i,'ll keep an eye on that, but its incomplete. Its a shame because the movement runs sweet and the dial is good. Its from a hunter case, can I fit it into an open case, will the crown and stem fit? It winds at 3

IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
Paul as a general rule a hunter movement will fit in an open face case. They show up all the time and are usually called sidewinders. I say as a general rule because the thickness of the movement must be allowed for and in some cases, as any Hampden collector will tell you, you have to cut a new slot or widen an existing one. I occasionally seen an open face movement placed for some reason in a hunter case but that is usually just because someone had a hunter case and used it instead of an open face case. Remember also that a pendant set watch may not work in a lever cut case as some of the lever cut cases do not allow for pendant setting.

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009
posted
I have sold many Equity movements, they were made by waltham. The two gold tone areas of the wheels are typical of an Eqquity movement. Perhaps this is a bit of a frankenwatch made by waltham?

Posts: 5101 | Location: Buffalo, New York in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2009
posted
Thanks both, I just need to find a complete 17 case. I'm reading that these could actually be 16 1/2s. I must try it in an waltham 1888 case to check the size. I believe they were slightly bigger than a normal 16. I have to dig out my vernier to measure the exact diameter.
I don't mind the sidewind bit! I just want to case it as its one of my early successes.

IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
Sorry Paul, I just read the heading on ebay so didn't realize the bezel was missing.

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
posted
the serial numbers on my equity watches are different by the way, that serial number is pure waltham, the only thing I see equity wise is the gold in the wheels.

Posts: 5101 | Location: Buffalo, New York in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2009
posted
Ok, so I just manged to find a 17s equity open face complete, that needs work. It sounds like a mainspring.
Can I put the hunter movement in the new case or should swap springs?
Will the stem and crow work on the hc or will it need to be modified?

IHC Member 1016
posted
I would think condition of the movements and your desire for "correctness" will dictate. The easiest thing to do would be to stick the running HC into the Non-running OF case. If you are comfortable changing the mainspring then that may be an option, or, simply find the correct mainspring (looks like the 2227 is correct) and repair the OF as well.

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Welcome aboard IHC185 Paul! I'm glad to see you're already availing yourself of the best feature of this forum: sharing horological knowledge in a polite and friendly atmosphere. Smile

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
Thanks Mike. I had narrowed it don to the 2227. Even tho it is listed for a 16s. There a a few that are prewound (bestfit) so I'll probably give it a go. Do I need any stem or crown modification to fit the hc in the of?

posted
Thank you Edward. This is a great site with great people

IHC Member 1016
posted
Generally a Hunter movement goes into an Open Face case and Open into Hunter without any modification. Of course, that depends on the cases involved, but if yours housed a similar movement it should work fine. There may be a sleeve adjustment required but not often. Good luck and keep us informed.

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007