Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

What Watches Can Go In a Mainliner Case? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
posted
I know Mainliner cases were common for Hamilton watches, and I have even seen some Walthams using them, but would it be incorrect to put a 16s Illinois into one of them?

Posts: 718 | Location: Upstate New York in the USA | Registered: November 21, 2008
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Bruce,

No. The Mainliner was wade only for the Hamilton 950E. A similar case is shown below that was a case that was sold by the jewelers and I have several of them. A very handsome case and quite popular. Here is a picture of one of mine that has a Bunn 19 jewel 60 HOUR movement in it with a "Fatboy" dial.

Steve

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Bruce,

Here is another post where these were discussed. If you are saying that your watch case says "Mainliner" then I am going to say only a Hamilton can go in it. The case above is the very similar except it is considered to be a Rail Roader case by Keystone. Confused yet?

Steve

Some of the details

IHC Life Member
posted
Hi Steve, The case I am thinking about buying is only marked Keystone J. Boss and nothing else. It sounds like you are saying that I could put an Illinois in it without causing an incorrect "marriage." Is that correct?

Posts: 718 | Location: Upstate New York in the USA | Registered: November 21, 2008
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Bruce,

Yes that is correct. These were a common and popular case sold by many jewelers so the marriage would be ok provided the movement was from around the 1915 to 1930 or so timeline and not a movement that would have come from the factory cased. Although, if you are just looking for a nice case for your movement just remember, less than .0001% of the population would know the difference.

Steve

IHC Life Member
posted
Steve, Shugart's Price Guide says the Hamilton Mainliner first appeared around 1937. According to your information, it sounds like Keystone may have been making these from an earlier period, then Hamilton adopted the case as a standard offering of their cased-at-the-factory watches around 1937. Does that sound like a reasonable assumption?

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Sorry Bruce, that would not be a reasonable assumption, read on...

Expanding slightly on Steve's comments above, the case known as the "Hamilton Mainliner" is a correct case for one movement and one movement only, the Hamilton 950 Elinvar produced from 1937 through 1940 inclusive. There are several very important design features exclusive to these cases, follow the link in Steve's second post above and for more in-depth information about the true Hamilton Mainliner and additional difference details then follow both the links to be found below in this posting.

Long before the Mainliner, in 1924 the Keystone Watch Case Company began producing their "J. Boss Railroader" case that is similar in basic design but in actuality a very different case. Keystone sold it to the retail trade and vast numbers of watch movements such as Steve's were cased in them by many retail selling jewelers. There were also factory cased watches from Waltham shipped in those cases (watch guide page 136, reference 4) but those will bear clear Waltham markings inside the back.

The Keystone "J. Boss Railroader" was produced from 1924 until the 1970s and thousands of movements were originally cased in them, thousands more were placed in them as replacement cases. It is arguably the all-time most popular Railroad Watch Case, but it is very important to not confuse it with any other similar looking case.

As Steve mentioned this is a confusing and complex subject. You and others may find it interesting to explore both of these links but I warn you, be ready to do a lot of reading...

IHC185 Find-Or-Search Link to "Hamilton Mainliner" postings.

IHC185 Find-Or-Search Link to "J. Boss Railroader" postings.

After all that, there may still be questions, we will do our best to answer them.

Keep up the great posts!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Lindell,

Thanks so much for expanding on this subject for Bruce (great to see you posting again by the way). I have had a sincere love for this case and I have collected a few very nice watches in them. I have been trying to find information on them as well to broaden my knowledge of them. I will read those other post in the morning.

Being an Illinois collector almost exclusively I tend to follow only information regarding them which means the history of most non factory cased movements pretty much ends in the early to mid 1930's. There were some mid 1920's movements that were slow movers and later sold in the 30's by the Hamilton group which I believe were sold as movements only and cased by the jewelers at the time of sale.

Needless to say, thanks for the information, I'm sure it will answer a lot of questions.

Steve

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Thanks Steve,

With the Bunns and Bunn Specials the important number to remember is 1929 in relation to factory cased movements. That is the last year that movement-only offerings were part of the regular lineup. For example any Bunn or Bunn Special produced through 1929 could have originally been cased by the retail selling jeweler. Those who believe that all late 1920s Bunn Specials were factory cased are simply incorrect. That changes with 1930 production and from that point on we expect to find factory cased examples with regard to all Illinois watches.

As you know, the Bunn you show above in this topic could have come exactly as shown.

When casing any movement in a J. Boss Railroader markings inside the case-back although not always 100% definitive can be of help on period-correctness. Another clue can be finding a second lever-cut, that means the case is most likely a "one-size-fits-all" is what all or nearly all the later cases were. Sometimes it takes several indications of original markings and configuration specifics to make a reasoned determination.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Thank You Lindell and Steve, and this brings to mind a question . . . This mint looking case arrived here wrapped around a mid-20's 17J adj PSB with a busted mainspring from an eBay seller that had listed it along with a toothpick holder, antique Stanley wood plane, old dishes, etc.,etc., so the picture was so bad that nobody bid it so it came here. It cleaned up to a mint watch!

Would this case be "appropriate" for a higher end RR such as a 23 Jewel 60 Hour Sangamo Special?

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
I would like to elaborate on the exceptions Lindell touched on.

Pictured below are 5 Illinois watches that are not in factory cases. What is unique about four of them, and this was the way I received them and it led into another discussion I had with Lindell a few months ago.

Four of them have Hamilton style dials on them with the two in the back even have Hamilton style hands. I belive those four were put together at the hamilton factory.

The one in front on the left is a Grade 706 19 jewel Serial # 5300858 (1930).

The two in the rear are both 19 jewel Bunn 60 HOUR watches in non factory cases.

The center front is also a 19 jewel Bunn 60 HOUR in a Ball case.

The one on the far right is another 19 jewel Bunn 60 HOUR in a Keystone Rail Roader case.

Is it coincidence that there are four Hamilton style dials on Illinois watches? I think not. I believe the 60 HOUR models, all of mid 20's manufacture were left over units after Hamilton took over the Illinois factory. These were all of the less popular, slow selling 19 jewel variety, That were left sitting in the vault. There were less than 4,000 of these produced and here are three with Hamilton style dials on them.

The Grade 706 model I think reinforces the fact that they started using these dials in the 30's to get rid of surplus and were sold to jewelers as uncased movements to get rid of them.

Steve

posted
I think you guys should rewrite the book on Illinois watches. How about the Sangamo Specials? Would they have been cased in the factory prior to 1930?

Posts: 827 | Location: Bloomington, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 29, 2008
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Steve,

The answer to your question is yes. All 16 and 17 size Model 10 and the 17 size Model 13 were cased at the factory which they started doing in 1920 through 1926.

Steve

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
David,
To answer your question, the last of the model 9 Sangamos were produced up to 1923 which would have been sold as movements only. The Rail Roader case came out in 1924 so if there were still Model 9 movements available in 1924 I would say it is a possibility.

Steve