Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

JUST HOW UNCOMMON IS THIS 19-JEWEL BUNN? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Just how uncommon is this 18size 19J Bunn?

I have an 18-size, 19-Jewel Bunn Serial Number 2443299 that doesn't seem to line up with the published information. There are 4 images below and they tell the story on authenticity. If you have the Meggers-Ehrhardt Illinois Book, check the pictures 8 and 9 at the bottom of page 92 and the text on page 84, particularly the right hand column.

Below, first image is the complete movement...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
posted
Here is the Barrel-Bridge shown in close-up...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
posted
Here is the underside showing the Serial-Number...

IHC President
Life Member
posted
Finally here is a close-up of the Movement-Number...

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
According to Russ Snyder's Illinois database there were 850 of this grade in 4 runs. Some had gold-filled engraving and some had red-filled engraving. The "19 Jewels" marking seems to have appeared in at least three different fashions, but I do not know the number or distribution of each.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
IHC President
Life Member
posted
Jerry,

I think you'll find the variation we are showing above is completely out of place with any published information anywhere. Look very carefully at the Barrell-Bridge and compare it, that's why I showed both both sides.

You and others may find this watch very interesting.

Lindell

Wink

IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
Lindell,
The Case of The Missing "Illinois Watch Co." marking .
I can think of a couple of possibilities, all of which are pure speculation:
1. The company ran out of new barrel bridges and grabbed an older "replacement" parts bridge to complete an order. The last of the non Illinois Watch Co. marked movemenmts (1909) were made only three years prior to your watch (1912).
2. The original bridge was destroyed and this was the only part quickly available when the movement was sent back to the factory for repair.
3. They mismarked the barrel bridge deliberately to give screaming fits to watch collectors and researchers 90 years later! Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

We have three examples from this run in our database, but no photos or details of the markings. We will have to see another from the run close to the S/N of yours to see if it has the same markings on the barrel bridge.
In any event, regardless of rarety, its a real beauty. Big Grin

Ed Ueberall
NAWCC 49688
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
posted
what i wondered about was a possible typo in the text on page 84....

note the overlap of the two last listings...

"old english" springfield Ill. 2029201-2164900

'block style' illinois watch co. 2044101-2663200

I own 2662844 and it is the block style illinois watch co marking.

also note on page 92 figure 9. note the location of '19 jewels'......

posted
Saw one on eBay today, serial #2443390 ... same run and same markings as Lindell's watch. I would be interested to see if any others from this run have been observed. Either all 200 in the run were marked this way or it is a split run.

Fred

IHC President
Life Member
posted
Thanks Fred,

We all like to have an unusual variation and seeing another means they evidently did build a few this way for whatever reason. Perhaps Big Grin Ed hit it right...

(3) "They mismarked the barrel bridge deliberately to give screaming fits to watch collectors and researchers 90 years later!" Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

If they could only have known how one day grown men and women, otherwise reasonable, would obsess over their handiwork! Bottom line, there is so very much we may never know.

Sure it's frustrating and confusing, but it's also a lot of fun!

Lindell

Wink