• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

18sz Box Hinge "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
You old-timers can just skip this. I understand that Regionals, years ago, were just filled with these old monsters that could be bought for a song.

But.... not any more. Box-hinged watches in 18sz are hardly seen at the regionals and they are becoming very expensive. Funny, I seldom see any with a lot of wear. Obviously, they were so big and heavy that no one wanted to actually use them! Wink

This one is gold filled, and (of course) incredibly big and heavy. Wonderful detail in the engraving and hardly a bit of wear. It was dirty and put more black-gunk on my Selvyt Cloth, than the rest of my collection.

I guess I should have waited until the watch and case were cleaned and serviced before trying to photograph and post it.

But.... it's my first one. I bought it ONE-MINUTE after the opening of the Arizona Sunshine Regional and never saw anything else that I liked as much.

I'm sure the old-timers use them for paperweights but for a relatively new collector... it's a thrill!

Posts: 986 | Location: Flagstaff, Arizona USA | Registered: June 19, 2005
posted
The other side. What a huge canvas for engraving!

posted
Double sunk dial and.... 17 Jewels. I'm not going to give anyone a peek at the movement until it hits the shop for servicing! Razz

posted
It came with a nice vest-chain too. I didn't find any markings on the chain, so I assume that it too is gold-filled, like the watch.

posted
just a hint please peter.... gilt or nickel movement....

Very Nice case indeed....

posted
Gilt. Nice plates. Ought to clean up very pretty. Movement dates to 1889. No extra screw marks either. 17 Jewels was pretty high-end that long ago.

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Peter beautiful watch,, the gold filled ones are hard to find in good condition and this one looks great..

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
posted
Love it! nice find.......geez, Peter, one minute?... couldn't you wait a moment or so just to make 'em think you were going to have to think about it?......just kidding, I wouldn't have either!

posted
Eh...... Mike..... the minute that I waited was while the OTHER GUY was looking at it. As soon as he put it down, I grabbed it! Big Grin

Don't you just HATE when that happens? Razz

(I'm serious. I walked up, saw someone looking at it and as soon as it hit the table again, it was mine!)

posted
Love it Peter.

Beautiful engraving and overall style.

IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Nice watch Peter. I love the box-hinged style case. The covers are very strong. You will seldom see one of these with covers that open past 90 degrees.

I have one Elgin 18s box-hinged watch. I got it on eBay for just $115. One of my best buys ever.

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
posted
Er.... well.... I didn't pay $115.00 for mine!

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

posted
John,

A VERY nice looking case and a "Best Buy " for sure.. Could you tell me if the "Box" design is carried to the front and rear covers.. I really like that feature and it seems to usually appear with solid gold box hinge cases.. another feature I really like with these cases, is the square shoulded crown..

Posts: 638 | Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin USA | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
Here's a Solid 14K 18s Box Hinge Hampden. Peter I bought this watch in Mesa Arizona about 15 years ago.

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Posts: 976 | Location: Texas in the U.S.A. | Registered: January 27, 2004
posted
Here's another view.

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Posts: 976 | Location: Texas in the U.S.A. | Registered: January 27, 2004