Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Fancy Colored Dials not listed in Shugart "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
As a collector of fancy colored dial watches, CoolI noticed from the onset Shugart did not list watches with fancy colored dials. Is there a log somewhere that gives information regarding these dial movements? Confused I would think the value of any manufactured watch with a fancy colored dial would be worth considerably more, thus adding to the value of the watch; just makes good sense!

If so, what figure can be added to the value of any given watch listed in Shugart or any price guidebook for that matter? Confused

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979

Posts: 1419 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA | Registered: April 01, 2003
posted
I'm hoping to read response. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Signed:

Fancy colored dials pocket watch fan! Cool

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Something I never really thought about before. Depending on the watch it does add considerably. And as we recently discussed finding perfect colored dials can be difficult or nearly impossible for some watches.

One I can think of right off-hand is the 18-size Hamilton. That colored dial is exceptionally rare.

Here's another rare one... Rich Kuhn has an 18-size Elgin with an absolutely flawless colored dial in our Chapter 185 Members Only Auctions right now. Rich stopped by with the watch the other day. There is not a flaw of any kind in that dial, and it positively glows in the light.

Some of those fancy dials can run several hundred dollars. What does it add to the watch? I'd say 25% as a rough average.

What do others say?

Wink

One of the prettiest I've ever seen, currently up for sale in the Chapter 185 Auctions...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
At the turn of the 20th century (1900), Elgin offered fancy dials for $1 extra. What kind of a return do those dials offer now? Pretty good I would say.

Posts: 767 | Location: Los Osos, California USA | Registered: December 12, 2002
posted
Lindell,
Thanks for your input. Hmmm, 25% as rough average to add to value of watch for a fancy dial! Sounds good! Smile

Jerry F.,
Thank you for our response. Wow, one buck extra for fancy colored dials. That's incredible. And in today's market, we see what they bring.

For anyone who is interested, I found two watches under Elgin in Shugart book listing colored dials, pg. 177 (18 size) & p. 188 (0 size). Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Does anyone know of a book listing dials? Confused Any other info regarding fancy colored dials would be great appreciated! Smile

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979

posted
Stephanie -

I don't know of any one book that has a good listing of fancy-color dials or values.

These dials vary greatly in value - factors that influence this are company, size, maker (those made by the O'hara Dial Co. are very popular), condition (there is usually a steep drop-off in value from mint to slightly flawed), degree of decoration (from simple to very fancy), whether the dial is double-sunk or sunk-seconds, and if there are other desirable (such as railroad) markings. In determining a value these dials are usually evaluated separately from the rest of the watch, as very few American models came from the factory specifically equipped with these dials.

Of the American companies it seems that Elgin, Waltham, and Hampden are the ones most commonly found with fancy dials. Rockford and South Bend are less common - and Hamilton, Illinois, and early Howard are scarce to downright rare. Some of the minor companies are also found with fancy dials and these are usually also scarce.

Fred

p.s. One of my favorites ...

posted
BBBBEEEEE U TEE FULLLL dial fred!

I heard L.E. one day talk about a fancy dial....

If perfect, a 1000 dollar dial to the right person..... if one flaw, about 1/2 that to whoever will buy it.....

but of course, it does depend on markings, dialmaker, etc. just as mentioned above.

posted
A question on the Hamilton dials. This one is personalized, as is the movement. Is there a valuation difference between "personalized" fancy
dials and "company name" fancy dials..

Regards,
John Pavlik

Posts: 638 | Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin USA | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
john,
this is gonna sound STOOPID Big Grin .. but

the names do match eh??? Big Grin

I would venture the marked dial should bring a premium, but the 'clientel' [sp?] will be limited...like i said, an opinion..

I would also think that a history of the watch would be helpful to verify authenticity, as I understand there were some 'fancy' dials made in the 60's-70's era [this is from word of mouth info... so FWIW].... these 'could have' been made to match the movement......

please take the above as a general statement, and not any judgement of your watch.... these dials really need a hands-on appraisial......

posted
Terry,

I should of been more specfic. The name on the dial and the name on the movement are the same. The movement also has the city and state....the watch is an early one... # 3145.. Big Grin

John Pavlk

Posts: 638 | Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin USA | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
Fred H.,
Thanks for the "heads-up" on dials. I've taken notes on your invaluable information. Smile Your Illinois dial is beautiful. Roll Eyes

Thanks for the information and pic of the wonderful dial for all to see and enjoy. Cool

Terry H.
Who is L. E? Confused

Lindell,
Thanks

Mike N.
Like your thumb.

John P.
Another beautiful dial. Smile Would love to see the movement. Good question you had.

I'm thankful for the information on dials learned as a result of this thread. Anyone else with fancy colored dial info?
Please share! Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979

posted
Heres one, But I don't remember where I got the pic from, may have been eBay Eek Wink

Posts: 267 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Hi Mike N.

The dial is beautiful. You gotta know I like this one; the roses, and scroll work, how pretty and frilly!! Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Razz

It's definitely a girl dial huh? Looks fairly large, possibly for 16 size movement? Confused What's the fine print say? Confused

Eyes just "ain't" what they used to be. Frown

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979

posted
Stephanie,

L.E. = Larry Ehrhardt

Picture of Jim Walz
posted
Here is an 18 size hamilton for your pleasure

fancy hamilton 18 size dial

Posts: 427 | Location: Lincoln, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: April 07, 2003
posted
Jim,

Thanks for the pic of your 18 size Hamilton fancy dial, sooo pretty! Cool And rare too according to what we read in this thread! Thanks again.

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979

posted
Eek Jim, .. HOW MUCH $$$$? Confused Wink Big Grin

Mike Nardick

Posts: 267 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002