Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Got My E. Howard Series III Back From Australia "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Mary Ann Scott
posted
Several months ago, I bought an E. Howard series III, serial #12444. The dial was in bad condition with several big chips and old repairs.

Posts: 1047 | Location: The Colony, Texas in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2008
posted
After researching I decided to get it repaired and sent it to Allan Heywood in Australia. He did a resin repair/resurface. The dial turned out great. You can only see signs of repair when you turn it to the light just so and there are the outlines of the old chips.

Did I mess up by having the dial repaired? Did the dial lose it's value being repaired?

Posts: 1047 | Location: The Colony, Texas in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2008
posted
Here is the movement....

posted
The case is marked E.H.& Co., 3, coin, 85130. I believe it to be, if not original, at least a period case. There are no extra screw marks, however, there is a "washer" under the case screw.

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi Mary,

Looks a great job would you email me the address and the cost also?
How long did it take?
Does he do metal dials also?

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Mary Ann, Regarding your question;

"Did I mess up by having the dial repaired? Did the dial lose it's value being repaired?"

If the damaged dial is an original and has been restored, I see llittle difference between doing that now or the previous attempt by a watchmaker to repair this with white dial wax.

In either case it remains the ORIGINAL dial that has been restored, albeit a better job the most recent time that was done.

I think that we should team up our damaged dials and send them "en-masse" to this miracle-maker if he is willing to do that.

(I wish that I had known of this person before my 17s Sangamo Special dial was "lost" to Mr. Al Adams of Missouri)

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Wonderful dial restoration Mary Ann, I too would be interested in finding out the cost of this type of repair.

Larry

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
He did a real nice job on that dial.On one of my Howards the dial had some hair lines and chips.At a mart I know a another Howard collector he sold me a dial for 10.00 it had a minor chip but was better than what was on it.If you think it look's better that is all that count's.And your dial look better than my 10.00 dial.I can't see any hair lines or chip's it's a 100% improvement.

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
IHC Member 179
E. Howard Expert
Picture of Harold Visser
posted
Mary Ann, I can't tell for sure but it appears to me that your watch is lacking the dust band around the movement. With the dust band, the movement will fit a bit snugger in the case and you might not need the washer under the case screw any more. The band is not easy to come by,purchase of a broken junk movement is probably the best way to acquire one and maybe get the correct (longer) second hand also at the same time....
The dial repair looks great, that dial style is known as a type 4 dial, typically used on Serial #3501 to around #7500 and is technically not correct for your watch but it is no big deal. It is actually a rarer dial...
Harold

Posts: 352 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona USA | Registered: November 25, 2002
posted
Thank you, everyone, for your comments. It seems I did okay having it repaired. I paid about $275.00 total including postage both ways. It wasn't cheap, so you will have to decide if you want to spend that kind of money. But he does excellent work and is a very nice gentleman. It took about 2 1/2 months.

Here is his web site link -

Allan Heywood Enamels

Chris - I don't see an reference to metal dials. It couldn't hurt to ask if he would work on them.

Harold - there is no dust ring. I will be on the lookout for a junk movement to see about getting one and the proper hour hand.

If anyone comes across a junk movement from the same time frame as this, please drop me a note. Thanks!

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Hello Mary Ann,
The dial repair is simply terrific and if you ask 10 different people there opinion you will get 10 different opinions while all along it is your opinion that really matters....

I'm not one to change something on a watch as I'm sure you or none of us are for that matter, but there are times when it does become necessary and we do the best we can to maintain the integrity of the watch in question....however, the amount of inquires by those that have responded indicates that this is an area of great concern, that is of repairing dials we have on existing watches....

In all, I think you have done quite the correct thing by having the dial repaired and it will make for a great addition to yours or any of our collections....

Super Job.... Smileand you should continue on your way with a great deal of pride....

BTW...Harold suggested getting a longer Second Hand, not the Hour Hand....

Regards,
Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Mary, $275 is a lot cheaper then the one I use.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
posted
Jerry - you're right. Harold did say second hand. My bad. My opinion is that each watch is special to it's current owner, some more than others. This one I felt deserved to show itself with a repaired dial as it was in pretty bad shape. If I should decide to sell it, I will disclose the dial repair. But I don't think I will. Smile

Chris - Allan's fees vary based on the amount of work to be done, but start at $150.00. Again, each person will have to decide it they want to spend the money. In some cases, a replacement dial would be the way to go. But some dials are rare or unique and might justify the cost.

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Outstanding repair job Mary Ann, which enhances the value of your watch IMHO.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Mary Ann,
That dial looks Fantastic! I just love to see something like this dial being cared for.

It's beautiful!

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
posted
I have been looking for a parts movement to get a dust band for my Howard as Harold suggested. No luck so far.

I have a question about the "N" movements. Did the diameter stay constant through production? Excluding the Keystone Howards, would a dust ring from a later "N" fit on my earlier movement?

I have been focusing my search on the key wind movements but, if the diameter is the same, could also look at the later stem wind movements. I might have a better chance of finding a dust ring that way. Thanks to all.