Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham Dial Help!!! "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
I found a pack of these 16 size dials and was looking for input as to what they were used on or are they simply a swiss replacement.

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
IHC Life Member
posted
Here is a picture of the back

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
posted
I'm not saying I know but I would lean toward them being real(not repro)for two reasons. First is that I haven't seen any repros with illuminated numerals(and I'd bet they're real radium too). The basis for my second reason is that you have been getting into cool old stock from old sources(i.e. those 992B dials) recently and that where this stuff turns up.

Let me know if you uncover any old character stuff along the way. Smile
-Cort
p.s.-I would certainly imagine these to be WWII
or later and gov't contract.

Posts: 536 | Location: El Cerrito, California U.S.A. | Registered: October 04, 2004
IHC Life Member
South-Bend
Picture of Frank Kusumoto
posted
Looks like dials for 1899 and 1908 Waltham 16s. I would guess that they are factory replacements because they have three feet. Most swiss aftermarket dials I have seen only have two feet. The "Boxcar" style numbers are usually on older enamel dials that I have seen, but I don't pay alot of attention to Waltham's. Wink

Frank "407" Kusumoto

Posts: 1029 | Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: October 08, 2004
posted
They appear to have the Glow in the Dark "feature" on the numberals... Maybe if you got "Promoted" to the night shift you had to change your watch dial.... Got pretty dark in those cabooses..

Posts: 638 | Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin USA | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks for the info I was hesitant in thinking they were swiss repro's but I was not sure that is why I listed a picture. I was also wondering if they were Military use. Smile

IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks Cort for the comment on finding some neat stuff. I took a picture of a large 4' long picture of the Elgin Factory. I picked this up with several other cool pictures from the shop. I am thinking of trying to find room to hang a few of them somewhere. Sorry picture shows flash!!

posted
Robert, Those look like authentic factory dials with luminous (radium) numbers. My guess is that these were offered by waltham for any Waltham owner who wanted to update his watch with a luminous dial. There are probably packets of luminous hands in your treasure trove to go with the dials.

Tom

IHC Life Member
posted
Received an email about this dial thought others would like to know the info on it. I asked the person to join us so he can share his knowledge.

Thanks to everyone for there help you all are the Best!!!! Smile

I am not a member of 185 so I could not respond to you question about the 16 size Waltham dial. It is an authentic Waltham made dial for the Ordinance Department during the Second World War. They were used on Waltham model 1609 and 1617, 16 size, 9 and 17 jewel Waltham watches. If you have a copy of Marvin Whitney's book Military Timepieces, look on pages 373 & 374 for more detail and pictures of your dial.

Don Ross

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
You would never see a dial like this used on any railway in North America that I know of. The CPR up here outlawed a Bulova Accutron for having luminous hands, their fear was that flakes from the hands would get into the delicate mechanism and cause it to stop.

Larry Buchan

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
Robert,
Saw this watch on eBay this morning that has your dial.

Posts: 331 | Location: Camarillo, California USA | Registered: May 03, 2005
IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks Dave Not a bad looking dial I wonder if I have the hands to match somewhere. Confused