Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham Mainspring Info Please! "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
I just restored a 16s Waltham hunter and will actually be getting paid for it! I'm charging a whopping $65.00 for clean, oil, case clean & polish, new glass crystal, front cover adjustment and mainspring repair.

The old mainspring was broken at the very end where it catches on the motor barrel. I drilled a new hole and elongated it next to the broken hole. It seems to be holding just fine but want to advise the owner that he should have a new one installed. Could someone please provide me with the Waltham part number for the mainspring? It is serial number 16,538,566.

The watch looked like someone had stored it with the trash. It was full of dust bunnies, the dial and case was filthy. Before I started work on it, I pulled a few pieces of lint out of the movement and it started running! I normally work on Elgin's but do a Waltham ever so often. I was totally impressed with the quality of this watch. After servicing, it's been staying right to second with my quartz chronograph.

John D. Duvall
Rosamond, CA.
NAWCC Member 0144772
NAWCC IHC Happy Camper 192

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
posted
It's a grade 625 model 1908 and requires a #2227 mainspring which comes in 3 different strengths:

Width Thick Length
19(2.80mm) X 6(.17mm) X 25in
19(2.80mm) X 6.5(.16mm) X 25in
19(2.80mm) X 7(.15mm) X 25in

For a 17 Jewel Waltham the middle one should do. LaRose part number is 039336/018.

Mike Miller
NAWCC Member# 154831
NAWCC-IHC Charter Member# 27

Posts: 539 | Location: Central Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
What a wealth of great information, thanks to both John and Mike.

Lindell

Smile

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Mike - Thanks for the additional info on the watch. I will include it with the watch.

John D. Duvall
Rosamond, CA.
NAWCC Member 0144772
NAWCC IHC Happy Camper 192

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003