Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Question on time setting method of old Elgin "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hello All,
I have a 1900 Elgin, 18S, 15J, Grd.218, Ser.# 9226237.
In order to set the hands, you must turn a screw located at the back of the watch, 1/4 turn left, set hands, then turn right 1/4 turn to lock.
The screw is located just below the mounting screw located at the 2 o'clock position.
Can anyone shed some light on this unusual time setting method? It's a new one on me.
Wasn't able to send a picture, Sorry.
Thanks, Don

Posts: 169 | Location: Adrian, Michigan in the USA | Registered: June 09, 2011
posted
Hi Don,
according to your ser# the watch should be a pendant set watch, so can not help with the method you describe. I am sure some else here will be able to shed some light on it though.
Bill

Posts: 1278 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 19, 2008
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Just to toss this out there....this sounds just like the way the pendent set Hamilton 950's were made in order to meet railroad requirements of being 'lever set' or non-stem set.

They had the screw in the back that you could set the watch with, then once the screw was turned back to position, you couldn't use the stem to re-set the watch. It met railroad requirements of the time regarding non-pendent set watches.

Never heard of an Elgin that did this, though.

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
Thanks for the response guys.
Don

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
I am not real familiar with Elgin, but Smile

What it sounds like you are describing was a screw for the watchmaker to transition between winding/setting positions while working on the watch with it uncased.

A few watches were made with a screw that had a "P" or a "L" engraved on the plate, which you could turn the screw and make it pendant set or lever set.

But I don't think there was ever a watch that you had to carry a screwdriver around with in order to set the time.

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
posted
Hi Buster,
You are correct. With the screw turned 1/4 turn to the left and kept there, the watch can now be pendant set and you can still wind the watch.
Thanks for solving the mystery.
Regards,
Don